The Rise of the Metal Moon

She was laying on her bed, staring up at the ceiling when Mon Mathma herself swept into her room, full of grace and elegence. Thalassa was on her feet, standing at attention before the woman fully entered the room.
"At ease," the regal lady said with almost a tone of amusement. Thalassa nodded and loosened herself up a bit. It wasn't often that she stood in the presence of Mon Mathma, so the circumstances had her slightly fidgety.
"Your brother and Jyn Erso have taken a small crew to Scarif."
"Yes, Ma'am."
"And you knew this?"
"Yes, Ma'am."
"Yet you did not tell anyone about it?"
"That is right, Ma'am."
"Why?"
"Because...," Thalassa sucked in a deep breath. "Because it's not about me, or him, or you. It's about the galaxy and protecting it from the Empire...Ma'am."
"Well said, Miss Andor. How would you like to go out in the field for once?" Mon Mathma asked. The question surprised Thalassa so much that she sat down. The woman in white sat beside her. "I can imagine that being cooped up here for years has taken its toll on you. The same halls, the same rooms, the same people, the same trees. Thalassa, would you like to see the galaxy?"
She froze, her mouth hung agape. How was she to respond? What was she to say? Her brother said that she should stay, but Mon Mathma told her to go.
"Who...who'll help the wounded-"
"Kael Sisk seems completely able. And the 2-1B units aren't half bad."
"Where am I going? Who am I going with? Why me?"
"Do you remember Leia Organa?"
"The Princess of Alderaan? Of course. You've had me meet with her a few times."
"We are planning to back up your brother and the rest of Rogue One. Bail Organa is willing to send his daughter to Tatooine to find an old friend who may be able to help us win this war and we want you to accompany her. You will leave on one of our space craft to the Tantive IV, which will be carrying Princess Leia. You will be there to entrust that she is not harmed. Do you understand?"
"Yes, Ma'am."
"Any questions?"
Thalassa thought for a second, turning her gaze away from the smoldering eyes of the woman before her.
"I can't say no, can I?" She asked slowly, as if simply asking the question would get her in trouble.
"You can."
"My brother told me to stay here." Thalassa looked back up at Mon Mathma. "But he doesn't control my life, I do. Besides, this isn't about me, or him. It's about saving the galaxy." She stood. "I'll do it."
Mon Mathma stood after her and smiled.
"Good. Pack your bag, my girl. You leave as soon as possible."

"How long will you be gone?" Kael asked, helping Thalassa find a few of the things she needed on her voyage.
"I don't know Kael," she responded, shoving those things into a bag. "But it shouldn't be too long. Cassian will probably be back before me." Kael was quiet.
"I don't want you to go. I can't be the Head Healer! I'm...I'm not as good as you. I get nervous and I-"
"Kael, you'll be fine! It'll be a day, tops. I promise I'll come back soon and when I do I'll buy you something pretty, m'kay?"
"Alright. But it'd better be more than 10 credits."
"As you wish, Kael."
Kael engulfed her in a bone crushing hug.
"Be careful, Munchkin."
"Don't start with that again, Giant," Thalassa whined, wiggling her way out of Kael's grip. "Say goodbye to Penelope for me. Make sure she stays in bed until I'm back. Don't let her walk yet. Also, talk to S2, he gets lonely. Feed my fish." She stood on her toes and kisses Kael's cheek.
"I'll do all of that and more. You can count on me."
Thalassa smiled.
"Good. Goodbye, Kael. I'll see you soon." With that, Thalassa almost gleefully slipped from the room and walked down the halls, her boots thudding against the floor like metal to magnets. She arrived at the docking bay and a pilot approached her.
"Ready, Ma'am?"
"Yes, sir. Let's go see the galaxy."

Thalassa's space craft intercepted the Tantive IV a few hours later. She stepped out of the ship a little sick, but still excited. The Princess met her with a hug and a kind greeting. They had a met a few times in the past, Bail and Mon Mothma believing that their friendship would do them good, and it now seems as though they were right. While they traveled to Scarif, the two walked the Tantive and the ship it was docked on. They talked about how they had been since their last meeting. Everthing was generally the same for both of them, as it seemed.
When one of the pilots confirmed that they were almost on Scarif, Thalassa's mouth went dry.
"Are you alright?" The Princess asked.
"Fine, Princess."
Thalassa was a talented liar, similar to her brother, but Leia Organa was a diplomat. She knew a lie when she saw one.
"You're worried about your brother, aren't you? Cassian."
"I'm always worried about my brother," Thalassa agreed. They stood at a window as they came out of hyperdrive and the planet appeared before them. They stood before the blue planet, arms linked and stared almost in horror. Thalassa's stomach dropped and her heart squeezed in her chest. She unknowingly clung tighter to the girl beside her.
"He'll be okay," Leia whispered to Thalassa, almost as if she was trying to convince herself of that fact
The fighting had begun. Fighters were zipping around firing shot after shot at the star destroyers and the force field around the planet. Small explosions littered the ground below them.
With a cry of relief, Thalassa and Leia watched two of the Star Destroyers smash through Scarif's shield. The plans could come through and Cassian could escape. They clung to each other in glee, smiling.
"Your Highness, Miss Andor." A rebel soldier stood behind them, ready at attention when the ladies turned.
"Yes?"
"The captain suggests that you make your way back to the Tantive in case we are bordered."
"Borded?"
"Yes. M'lady Andor. It is possible. Please, follow me."
The two did as they were told and followed the soldier back to the Tantive.
From there, they watched in horror as something roze over the horizon of the planet Scarif. At first, Thalassa believed it to be a moon, but she was terribly incorrect. It was made of metal, and deadly.
"The Death Star." The name of the space craft passed her lips before she could even register what it was called.
Before she could even process what it meant, a green light started to emerge and a deadly beam hit the planet.
"No!" Thalassa shrieked before she could stop herself. Leia turned her head away and tried to pull Thalassa away from the window, but she wouldn't budge. Her eyes gathered tears as the massive tsunami of fire barreled towards the land mass of the planet. She placed her hand on the window as the sand mass was blown away and she knew, everyone that was still down there was dead.
"Cassian." Her heart shattered and dropped in her chest. Her knees went weak and she fell to the ground, hand still on the window. She breathed raggedly.
"He may have gotten away before it blew." Leia's voice was soft, comforting. "Come, my friend, our journey has just started."
Thalassa stood, but her mind was far away on the planet below, where she imagined her brother on a beach, Jyn in his arms, promising to be by her side, and that was enough. That was enough to keep Thalassa moving.
"Of...of course, Your Highness." The two made their way hurridely to the desk of the ship, listening to the blaring sound of the alarms. Thalassa swallowed, her throat dry, as the men readied to undock the Tantive and jump into hyperspace.
Leia held her hand, squeezing it to remind Thalassa that she was there. She could never be more grateful for the Princess' presence then at that moment.
Just as they jumped into hyperspace out towards Tatooine, one of the soldiers opened the door behind them.
"The transmission we recieved, ma'am." Leia turned and took the disc form him. "What is it they've sent us?"
A small smile emerged on the Princess' lips.
"Hope."