Hanahaki Disease P.1

The Hanahaki Disease wasn't always around. It had only spurred up around 30 years ago, roughly 10 years before Chuuya was born. Death rates started to increase world wide and doctors struggled to find a cure. It wasn't as easy as saying 'I love you' to someone; you had to truly love that person. The words 'I love you' weren't even needed to cure the Hanahaki Disease, but they did reassure people a little bit.

That was the problem with the disease, people couldn't just instantly fall in love with another. Falling in love with someone was a slow process but the Hanahaki Disease didn't wait for anyone and once you felt the flutters of first love, it would swallow you whole. It didn't matter if you didnt know you were in love; the Hanahaki Disease would come for anyone who felt their first love.

Because of this terrible disease, doctors created a cure that could make someone forget all about their first love. It was a machine that hooked tightly around you, prodding at your brain until all your memories of your first love were plucked out.

The cure came far to late, as all the humans in the world turned heartless. They unconsciously decided that if they would die because of love, they shouldn't feel love. It was a natural instinct of those who wanted to survive, and humans were a surviving race. Some people even chose to get close to someone, fall in love, and then get the treatment, that way they could live the rest of their life without fearing the unexpected claws of first love.

Chuuya's longtime companion, the bartender, had done the same. He is now happily married with a child on the way. Chuuya sighed in jealousy, if only it was that easy for him.

"It ain't that troublin' Chuuya," the bartender said, his accent thick."All ya gotta do is fall'in love."

Chuuya shakily sighed, trying hard not to laugh."You make falling in love sound easy."

The bartender smiled, cleaning a glass with a dirty washrag. Chuuya let out another sigh, not expecting the bartender to respond. He rested his head against the bar counter, glancing around the rusty bar and then back to the bartender that always seemed to be behind the counter.

"Does it hurt?" Chuuya asked, gaining the bartender's attention."The cure all those hospitals rave about."

The bartender thought for a second and then smiled."Hurts like'a bitch."

Chuuya groaned, downing his drink and slamming it on the counter."I feel like you tell me all these bad things just to get me to drink more."

"..."

"YOUR NOT EVEN DENYING IT!" Chuuya yelled, almost throwing his empty glass at the man behind the counter.

"Gotta make cash somehow," the bartender said."Need'a make sure ta keep me wife fed."

"And your new baby as well," Chuuya mumbled, instantly regretting his words once he saw the bartenders eyes light up.

"You wanna see'er?!" The bartender said excitedly."I gotta sonogram of'er recently. She'a beauty!"

Chuuya abruptly stood up, not wanting to continue this conversation again. The bartender was an extremely dotting parent and his baby wasn't even born yet. Chuuya was afraid of what it would be like once the baby was born.

"As much as I would love to stay and see sonograms of your kid, I'm kinda beat and need to get some sleep." Chuuya swiftly turned to leave the bar.