Hunger Games High School

Chapter one: The beginning of the rest of my life

Katniss P.O.V

BEEP BEEP BEEP!!
"Ughhh" I moan as I smack my hand across my alarm clock shutting it up. Well, here we are. The day I have been dreading for three months. My first day of junior year in a new school.

Here's how it all started. Right after my dad died my mother zoned out of everything. She wouldn't move, eat, talk, or even look at us. I was terrified for my younger sister, Prim, and I. Did I mention I was only eleven years old? Luckily for us my father taught me how to hunt, so that's how we got our food. It was then I turned fifteen my mother finally came out of her shell. She wasn't back completely but she was up and moving again. It wasn't until she met our new neighbor, Plutarch Heavensbee, that I thought she would ever love another man again. So here we are one year later with a mother and her new husband, my twelve year old little sister, and me the stubborn sixteen year old. But the worst of it all was that we had to move because Plutarch got a new well-paying job.

So now as I sit on my queen sized bed in the middle of a huge room inside of an even bigger house I think of how times were before my father died. Just then I gaze at my clock and realize I have been lying in bed for an hour now. I quickly jump out of bed and head to my walk-in-closet. I grab a random shirt and pants and hope they match. I then jump in the shower feeling the hot water wash away my sleepy mood and making me feel a little bit better about today. As I turn the water off and dry myself, then I noticed I picked up a light green sweater and dark blue jeans. I do my hair in a single braid down my back and rush down stairs.

As I walk in to the kitchen I see Prim sitting eating a bowl of cereal. Just then she turns her head towards me and her expression goes from happy to disappointed. "Oh Katniss" she breaths. "What?" I asked a little to dumbfounded. "Your outfit" she expresses. "What about it. I thought I looked good today. Nice and simple" I say. "Katniss! You can't wear a sweater without a scarf." She says like it's the most obvious thing in the world. "And not even a little make-up? Come on you want to make an impression. Can I please help you?" she bagged. "Fine, but don't go overboard" I say with a hint of regret in my voice. Five minutes later I have an infinity scarf with a cute pattern on it, a little mascara and eyeliner, and my hair is waves down my back. Prim stands back and admires her work "Perfect" she says as she grabs her back pack. "Are we going to go or what? I don't want to be later on my first day of 7th grade, now do I?" she says standing by the door waiting for me. "Ok, Ok I'm coming hold on" I say as I grab an apple then sling my book bag over my shoulder and pick up my keys and head out the door.

We ride in silence the whole car ride. When I pull up to the middle school Prim is frozen. "Prim?" I asked a little annoyed. "What" she says quietly "We are at your school it's time to go". "Katniss I'm scared. What if the other kids don't like me?" she asked "Prim everyone will love you don't worry, Little Duck". She laughs at the nickname I gave her years ago when her shirt wasn't tucked in the back and it looked like she had a tail like a duck. "Ok thanks. I will see you later" she says opening the car door. "Bye see you later. Have a good day." I yell as she closes the door. The drive from the middle school to the high school is very short so I'm there in a minute. I park my car and slowly walk to the front of the school. As I stand there watching all the groups of friends reunite with each other after the long summer I start to worry whether or not I will make any friends. I push that though aside and stare at the school. My school. My new school. The school I will graduate from. Its then I realized 'This is the beginning of the rest of my life'.