Chapter 2: The First Day

Katniss P.O.V

After getting my schedule and locker number from the office I search the halls for the right locker number. Once I punch in my combination I place my textbooks in the small tin rectangle. As I close my locker I check my schedule for first block. 1st Period: Art - Ms. Trinket - room 206. As I roam the halls looking for my class the bell rings signaling the start of first period. I am now run through the hall till I come to a stop at a door with 206 written on it. I slowly open the door and enter the room.

"Excuse me young lady but why are late to my class?" she asks. I then get a good look at Ms. Trinket. She is wearing a bright orange wig with make-up that looks like a clown with high heels so high I would break my ankle just looking at them.

"I got lost" I say quietly. "Very well then. You may now take you seat next to Mr. Mellark". She motions me to sit next to a boy with ash blonde hair. As I make my way to the seat he then lifts his head up and our eye meet. I stare straight into the most beautiful blue eyes ever. I am broken from my trance when he says "Hi I'm Peeta Mellark" I simply answer "I'm Katniss". He then gives me a small smile and a light laugh "Let me guess. You're very nervous about your first day and it isn't going very well so far. Right?"

"Exactly". He smiles his adorable smile again and says "Well how about at lunch you sit with me and my friends" I'm shocked. Peeta Mellark, one of the hottest guys in school, wants me to sit with him at lunch? "Me?" I asked. "Yes you. Come on it will be fun" he answers. "Ok thanks" I say as I blush bright red. The rest of the day went by in a flash.

It turns out Peeta and I have second, third and fourth period together. Now its lunch time and I'm searching the cafeteria for his adorable ashy blonde hair. I met his eyes from across the cafeteria and he gives me a smile and waves me over to his table.

As I approach his table I see all the most popular people of the school. The first person I spot is Annie Cresta, a quiet but very pretty girl with fiery red hair. Annie is currently dating Finnick Odair, the hottest guy in school and co-captain of the football team. He has light brown hair and gorgeous sea green eyes. Every girl thinks he is so attractive but I personally think Peeta is way hotter. Next I spot a guy who looks very similar to me. We both have dark brown hair and olive skin. He introduces himself as Gale Hawthorne he shakes my hand a winks at me. I turn my head and blush just as a tough looking brunette comes up to me and forcefully shakes my hand and says "Nice to meet you, Brainless"

"Excuse me?" "She doesn't mean it" Peeta says "She gives everyone nicknames. Like I'm Lover Boy and Finnick is Fish Boy". "Oh" I answer.

Lunch goes by fast just like the rest of the day. Now its 7th block and I'm sitting next to Peeta and trying not staring at him. Which is really hard because every part of him is perfect.

I am pulled from my trance when my biology teacher speak up "Ok everyone this project requires two people so pare up and start working on it. It will be due in three days". Oh great! I guess I will be working alone. Just then there is a tap on my shoulder. I quickly turn and see Peeta only inches away from my face. We both turn away looking very embarrassed and we blush bright red. "Sorry" he mutters. "It's fine. So why did you tap my shoulder?". "Oh! I was wonder if you wanted to be my partner? We could come over to my house after school and work on it?"

WHAT? Peeta Mellark wants me to come to his house? "S-Sure" I shuddered. I never studder. He is just so perfect. I can't believe I am falling so hard for someone I just met.

"Great! How about I give you a ride after school?" he asks. "Thanks but I have to pick up my sister from middle school" I answer. "Oh" he says and looks really disappointed. "But I will come over right after I drop her home". His face lights up and says "Sounds Great". Just then the bell rings signaling the end of the day.

I say good bye to Peeta and get in my car. When I pull up to the middle school I take out my phone to text Prim. Before I can even type a word she jumps in my car. "Wow that was-". "I had a GREAT day" she cuts me off. "Really what happened?" I asked. "I made so many friends and a lot of cute guys talked to me."

"Wow Prim that great." The rest of the car ride was a comfortable silence. When me pull up to our house Prim gets out and notices I'm not getting out and gets a questionable look on her face. "I'm going over to a friend's house to work on a project". Her expression changes to understanding. "Bye Prim I'll be home soon". "Bye Kat have fun with the boy". What? How does she know? "I saw you blush when you say 'friend'. I know you too well Kat." "Whatever" I mutter.

The drive to Peeta's house is very short. Once I arrive in front of his house I start to get a lot of butterflies in my stomach. I then slowly get out of my car and make my way to his front door. It takes me 30 seconds to get my nerves together so I can knock on his door. I then quickly knock on his door and take one step back.