Chapter 20- part 2

He looked exhausted.

"All right," he started, leaning against the wall, "I know this is your first real debrief. It always annoys people when I ask a lot of questions. Deal with it. It's my job to make you relive some moments you may have hated, and for good reason. I have to ask you for details, and I'm sorry."

I took a deep breath, preparing myself.

"Tonight, however, is the exception."

I didn't realize what he meant at first, but slowly, it dawned on me. "Tessa told you everything."

"Yes. So, if you were wondering if you should lie to protect her or tell the truth but have her deny it, don't worry about it. Tessa told me every detail. I hope your leg is okay, by the way. Looks like you came back with three Unnecessaries, 27th, and few people will ever know except me. I guess this is my chance to tell you that—" He took a breath. "You have earned all the respect I could give, and I am sorry for ever doubting you. I did, by the way... just a few times. At the beginning. Don't hate me."

I laughed as he smiled through his tired eyes.

"In other good news," he continued, "Rachel is doing great, according to the medic's report. We got her in the incubator for a day. Your Unnecessaries both look healthy. Katerina told us about her father, or whoever protected her. He was a former Sub-Terra. Sam checked, but he's disappeared. We'll wait to tell her he's dead. In the meantime, she's going to be put on a special diet. She has some dangerous bacteria, no doubt from living underground. And she's low on vitamin D from lack of sunlight. Nothing a few months on meds won't fix."

He swallowed, and I could tell we were about to enter another uncomfortable discussion topic.

"I have to leave after your briefing and decide whether Tessa is under probation, expelled, or even court martialed. Eldridge doesn't need to ask for your opinion, but he did. So, should Tessa get another chance?"

"I think," I said slowly, fighting my impulse to say anything to never see Tessa again, "that she should probably have another chance, but a part of me hates she's going to get one. It feels like she's getting away with it, except... she helped with Rachel, even during her meltdown. And she... caught moths with Katerina." This didn't mean anything to Patterson, but it felt important. "She's changed. Just a little. But I think it's enough."

He sighed. "Well, I'll pray it is enough then. Probation means she can't go back out for a week. It'll give us some time to get a counselor to confirm she's ready for that. The truth is the Council loves her, so unless Eldridge argues, she'll stay. Thank you for being honest, though. While you're being so honest, are you okay? Should I be calling a counselor for you?"

"I'm good. I can't really explain it, but I'm fine."

He nodded and then said that Collin would still have to fill out a Post-Traumatic Stress Report. Then, the real debrief began. He asked questions sporadically, like what song was playing when the police officer noticed me dancing. He had what I assumed was an audio recorder running, but was still taking some notes. We got to the police, the tunnels, finding Katerina, and the escape. I mentioned the location of the café because I couldn't remember the name.

Patterson stopped the recorder, poured a glass of water, and gave it to me. "You're doing great. Just a few more—"

"Is the recorder still off?" I interrupted.

He turned to look at it, nodded and whispered "Yeah." He sat down, as if he was afraid to ask why I wanted it off. The room was silent for ten seconds before I could speak, but he waited, on the edge of the table.

"You aren't going to believe me."

"Try me," Patterson said, with a tone that made me believe him.

"I got caught. A Sentry pursued us, followed us down the last tunnel. He had a light and a weapon and I was frozen. He knew what I was. I was dead." I paused as Patterson's reaction of shock set in and his anticipation rose. "He let me go."