Epilogue

New Year's Eve 2028

Age: 38

"Come on Eva," I called. "We don't want to be late."

My thirteen-year-old daughter slumped behind Robert and me. She had her arms folded across her chest and a sour expression on her face. Her slow pace was purposeful because she knew it would annoy me.

"I don't even get why I have to come to this stupid thing," Eva mumbled under her breath. I rolled my eyes at her typical teenage behaviour.

"Stop sulking," I reprimanded her. "You know you have to attend this party, considering your father owns this business."

"Oh, don't worry... I'm aware," she huffed and rolled her eyes before opening the door to the function room and stomping inside.

I almost said something back to her when soothing hands rubbed my shoulders and it calmed me down at once.

Robert's mouth came to my ear. "Lay off her a little bit. You acted the same as she did when you were her age."

I chuckled at the memory. It was so long ago, but I remembered it as if it was yesterday. It was the first time that I met Robert and that day had ingrained itself in my memory for the rest of my life.

"True," I commented, and then chuckled a little. "Now I realise how annoying I was. But you're right, I'll calm down. I'll let her find her own fun."

"That's my girl." Robert chuckled, his breath fanning into my face. His lips found mine, and he gave me a passionate kiss. Still, after all these years, butterflies erupted in my stomach and fireworks shot from my lips whenever they touched Robert's.

We both entered the function room and spotted a few people milling around. It looked like it was mainly Robert's second in command and eager employees. They rushed to greet us, and we spent some time chatting with them.

It was half an hour into the party's official start time when we tore ourselves away from Robert's employees. We then found our way towards our family. Mia, Mum and Dad all greeted us happily, and we started the conversation almost straight away.

Frank passed away about five years after Robert and I got married. It was a devastating blow for everyone. Not only had so many people lost a fantastic boss, but Robert had also lost his father and hero. We both had a challenging time coming to terms with it. Frank was like a second father to me. It had hit Robert the hardest though, and it was devastating to see him so upset. It took a lot of convincing from Mia and me for him to get up, dust himself off, and take charge of the family business. In the end, Robert adored owning his father's company. He only wished that Frank was there to see him achieve and succeed.

Although Frank passed away quite a few years ago now, a pang of sadness still hit me whenever we met as a family. I still missed him dearly; there always seemed to be a giant hole that Frank's personality would have easily filled. But I was so happy that he got to see Robert get married and the birth of his first grandchild.

"So, how's little Eva doing?" Mia asked affectionately. Time had been kind to her; she still looked as beautiful and radiant as she did ten years ago. "Only she's not so little anymore."

I chuckled. "Well, as per usual, she's sulking, because we dragged her to this 'stupid party'."

"There's no harm in that," Mum said, winking. "I remember you were the same when you were her age." Someone reminded me once more. "But I don't see you complaining now."

I threaded my arm through the crook of Robert's elbow and smiled a tender smile up at him. "No. No, I'm not."

We talked to the family for a little while longer, reminiscing about how nice Christmas Day was. Until Robert and I noticed that Nicole and her husband, Mick, had entered the room. We both politely excused ourselves from the group and greeted the couple.