Chapter Forty-One: The Lion, The Sister, and The Natalie

To all readers: I'm seriously curious on which turtle you are. I'm more of a Mikey girl, and tell me who your favorite character is in this fan fiction and why.

Honestly, I love Greg.

Feel free to ask me questions in the comments, and I'll answer them on the next chapter :)

    “Where have you been?” Leo asked when I came back.

    The wind had picked up when I left Lionclaw, and I was still shivering. I didn’t like the cold much.

    But I’ve survived worse.

    “Calm yourself general.” I said flatly, walking over to the floor where he sat. He was watching Space Heroes, and I was sure that he was watching a re-run.

    “But they don’t even have weapons.” Crankshaw said in a panic. “Well, then they better learn fast.” Captain Ryan said, and then you could hear a woman scream, and bones crunching.

    “I say Dr. Mindstrong, weren’t you in love with that one?” Captain Ryan asked, keeping his eyes on the victims.

    “I was captain.” Dr. Mindstrong said with pity.

    “Well, it seems like you both learned a lesson today.” Captain Ryan said, the television getting close to his face.

    “What?” I asked in annoyance, throwing my hands up in the air for enthuses. “What?” Leo asked, looking to me.

    “You consider that guy a hero?” I asked him, crossing my arms in a disapproving manner.

    “Thank you, someone who understands.” Raph said from the couch.

    “What?” Leo said in defense, “Space Heroes is a great show.”

    “A hero would save them, not let them handle things out themselves. That’s stupid. He just lets them die without a second thought.” I explained.

    Leo was quiet. “There really is no story to it. It’s just a rip off of Star Trek.” I stated my opinion.

    “You don’t know what you’re talking about.” Leo said, going back to the show. I got up, and went to bed, not telling any of them anything about what had happened tonight.

***

    “Where are you going?” Natalie asked when I was at the entrance. Ever other day, I would go see Lionclaw.

    He needed company, but there was no way I could take him back to the lair. Lions didn’t exactly feast on turtles, but if it came to it, his animal instincts would kick in.

    I feared that day.

    Natalie hadn’t gone anywhere since she came here, and she rarely ever talked to anybody.

    Honestly, I didn’t think she moved out of her room much at all.

    But Natalie was an independent, free spirit, and I knew that no matter how many times I would go against it, she would follow me anyhow.

    “To meet with a friend.”

***

    Snow fell in soft flurries. It was late morning, but even with the sun hitting our faces, it seemed to grow colder.

    Natalie shivered uncontrollably. “So, you’re name is Ellie?” she asked through shivers.

    I nodded, clinging to my arms a little tighter. “Yeah.” I replied.

    “And that red head. April?” Natalie asked, and I nodded, clarifying. “I like your sister, Karai.” she said, and I looked at her for a moment.

    What did she know about sisters?

    “Yeah, we’re close.” I said. Closer than you think. I thought to myself, but I wasn’t going to tell Natalie that.

    We both had our secrets that we didn’t want to share.

    “So this friend of yours,” she said, shivering before continuing, “What is she like?”

    “It’s not a she.” I corrected her, and she didn’t reply as we came an ally.

    She stopped, not wanting to go in. I stopped, looking to her. “Are you coming or not?” I asked, curious if she was afraid of the dark.

    “Yeah.” she said, and we were swallowed by darkness.

***

    “Did you hear that?” Natalie asked nervously when there was a deep growl from somewhere in the darkness.

    She took out a knife, and Lionclaw came from the shadows, growling at Natalie. Her eyes widened, and she walked back a few steps.

    “Ellie, run!” Natalie told me, and I walked up to her, and placed my hand on her wrist.

    She looked at me with a frantic look, and I lowered her knife. I walked over to Lionclaw, and bend down like one would do to a pet.

    “It’s okay, Lionclaw.” I said, and he looked from Natalie to me, his blue eyes looking into my amber ones.

    He sat down then, and I scratched his ear. I looked to Natalie who had a shocked and horrified expression on her face.

    “How did you- What-” she couldn’t get any sentences out.

    “Natalie, meet Lionclaw,” I said, “My brother.”

***

    “Your brother?” Natalie asked as he sat between us.

    “It’s a long story.” I said, not wanting to talk about what had happened to him. If I did, then I would have to tell her everything.

    Including my powers. My secrets.

    “How?” she asked curiously.

    I sighed. “Just like Splinter and the turtles.” I said, “It’s a thing called mutagen.”

    Natalie looked to me with a shadow across her face. “Did you say mutagen?” she asked.

    I gave her a look. “Yeah?” I said, my voice full of questions, “Do you know it?” She didn’t answer.

    “What was his name before he was a lion?” Natalie asked instead.

    Was she dodging my question?

    “Natalie.” I said, but she went on. “Was it Sean? Josh?” she asked, and then she starting saying names.

    “Natalie!” I said louder, and then she stopped, looking to me with a nervous expression.

    “Do you know what mutagen is?” I repeated, more stern.

    There was a pause.

    “Yes.”