Chapter 3

“Hey Cammie. Go get ready for preschool!” said my father in a sweet tone.

“Ok daddy! I am coming!” I replied with a huge grin on my face.

The flashbacks switched from preschool to eighth grade graduation. The graduation theme played in my head over and over until I got tired of listening to it, but I can’t control what my subconscious dreams about.

“Honey...”

“Honey...”

My eyes slowly flickered open. A nurse hovered around me, holding a glass of water.

I then realized that I was in a hospital. I don’t remember what happened, because my head hurt like crazy. Every sound that registered in my mind made it hurt even more. The window in my room was closed, and I so badly wanted to see the sunshine.

“Sweety. Here drink some water.” said the nurse handing me a glass of water.

My hands were trembling so hard, that the nurse got a straw. My body had cuts and bruises all over me. I couldn’t move because I hurt too much to even lift up a glass of water. My throat eventually got dry enough, that I took a sip from a silly straw.

“What happened to me?” I croaked out when the nurse came back.

“You were in a terrible car crash, and the driver who struck your car died.” she said as she opened the window.

“I don’t remember anything from that day.” I said confused.

“Yes you had a terrible concussion, and you probably ever won’t ever remember anything from that day she said sweetly.

“Why can’t I move my legs?” she said?

“One of them is broken, and the other one.... I don’t know you may be able to walk again.” she said sadly.

“I’ll be fine.” I said not so reassuringly as I gazed out the window.

“Yes you will be.” she said, “Get some rest.”

“Ok...” I said as my eyes drooped.

My dreams were filled with nothing. Emptiness haunted my mind as I got restless sleep. The alarm clock at the side of my bed beeped, but I was reluctant to open my eyes even though I was awake. I hated waking up to alarm clocks because they just made me more grumpy.

Beep, beep, beep, beep. The alarm clock was still beeping. Why did I have an alarm clock? I don’t remember having one on my night stand last night. I looked around but there was nothing there. The beeping continued, and I kept looking around. There was a machine next to my bed, and I stared at it. A long, clear tube ran all the way down to my arm, where it was taped to my underarm. I wanted nothing more than to rip that thing off my arms.

The nurse was tending to my mother in the room next to me. She moved my bed so I could see her. She was in really bad shape. Her bruises were so brown that I worried that she could die of them. She was in need of care, and she was getting some. She has been in a coma for two days now. The doctors said she may need more time before she will wake up.

“Nurse Nancy.” I said with a hurtful tone.

“Yes?” said Nurse Nancy as she walked into the room.

“Can I have some water?” I asked pleadingly.

“Sure thing honey.” she said as she refilled my empty glass on my bedside table.

“Also, is my mom going to be ok?” I asked.

“Maybe, I don’t know.” she said as she gazed into my deep blue eyes.

I twirled my blonde hair as I always do when I get nervous. My thin sleek body is starting to grow bigger with unwanted fat. I used to work out every morning, but now I may not be able to walk again.

“Oh, and honey. Your mom had a note in her pocket. I just wanted to give it to you.” she said handing me a crumpled piece of paper.

Dear Camden,

I am so sorry for crashing our car. I wrote this a long time ago, and I always kept it in my pocket when I drive so if we go to the hospital, they will give it to you. I promised myself that if this ever happened I would buy you a cell phone. No matter how young you might be, or how old you might be. If I put you through this pain, and misery you deserve a cell phone.

Love,

Mom

Oh my god. I am going to get a cell phone! Yes! All of my years begging and pleading are over, and I finally can celebrate. I just can’t wait until she wakes up so I can pester her on getting me one. I already started day dreaming about what I would use my cell phone with. My friend Katie would text me non-stop twenty-four hours a day. I needed one so that I could contact my mom without having to borrow someone’s cell phone.

“Oh my! She is stirring! What a miracle!” said Nurse Nancy in a shocked voice.

Doctors rushed over to my mom’s room, and were bombarding her with special treatment, until I saw her eyes open. She looked scared, and hurt. She didn’t remember anything that happened on the day of the crash. She found my eyes and I imaginary hugged her. She did the exact same thing.

After two days of staring and communicating silently, I was finally able to see her. The doctors wheeled her to my room, and we talked and shared what we remembered. It was still unclear, but I remember we had to go to a soccer game. She remember that a semi-truck hit us. We ran a red light, and we payed the price.

“Mom... The doctors gave this to me.” I said handing her the piece of paper.

She looked at me and reluctantly said, “Yes. I wrote this when you started pestering me about a phone. There had to be a loophole in my plan so I wouldn’t never give you one. It was a win win situation for me because I was a very safe driver, and you would eventually get a phone. I know what cell phone model you wanted so... I had this delivered to the hospital. Surprise!”

There was a package sitting on her lap, wrapped neatly in old newspapers. She handed it to me, and I ripped it open like it was Christmas morning. Inside was a brand new cell phone, with all my friends contact information installed by my mother. It was the best day ever and nothing could ruin it, nothing.