Chapter 1

Thalia

I continued packing my bags with my clothes and other necessities I needed. I was going to a boarding school in New York. My parents couldn't take care of me, don't get me wrong, they love me but they just weren't capable of parenting me. I zip up the suitcase holding everything I needed for this trip to the foreign place. I've heard of New York but never got to explore it and I've never saw pictures of it either.

I sighed as I dragged my suitcase behind me. I would miss my life here, I would miss my friends and surprisingly, my school. I gave my Mom a hug and a kiss on the cheek. 

"I will miss you butterbean. I will see you in summer," my Mom whispered as a tear cascaded down her cheek.

 I wiped it away, gazing into her brown eyes. "I'll miss you too, I'll send letters and everything." I turned to my Dad, giving him an awkward side hug. We were never really close, not like my Mom and I.

 "See you in summer, dad." he gave me a pat on the back. 

"Enjoy yourself, Thalia," he replied just as awkwardly. I pulled away from him and walked to the car, my luggage trailing behind me. I tossed my bags in the trunk and hopped into the back seat. My friend's dad was taking me to the airport because my parents had to get to their jobs.

I waved to them as the car pulled out of the drive way. I watched as their bodies shrunk the further we drove away. All I could see were their silhouettes now. I continued staring after them until my mom and dad disappeared.

---------------------

I sat in the plastic blue chairs at the airport, waiting for the speaker to tell me when I get to board. I pulled out my phone from my jacket pocket and checked for any new messages. Sadly, I didn't have any and slid it back in with a depressed sigh.

"All passengers for flight 13, please go to gate A. Again all passengers for flight 13, please go to gate A. Flight 13 is now boarding. Thank you!" the woman announced over the speakers. I stood up, grasped the handle of my luggage, and began heading for gate A.

I sighed through my nose as I flopped onto my assigned seat of the monstrous flying machine. I guess I wasn't the only one going to New York as people whispered and gossiped about the place. I was so nervous yet excited. I had never been on a plane before!

"Alright everyone, thank you for joining on flight 13 headed for New York. Please turn of any electronic equipment in your care! Buckle up and..." I stopped listening after that. What was it going to be like when I get there? Will I make any friends? Are the New Yorkers there nice? What will the cafeteria food taste like? With all these thoughts running through my mind, I earned a dull pounding in my head.

During the flight, I was seated next to a loud teenager. Everything about him screamed 'EMO' as I cringed and stared at him. He had his black hair in a quiff and lip piercings. His headphones were blasting obnoxious music which did not help my aching head at all.

I hadn't realized I was still staring at him until he pointed it out, "Hey lady, what's your problem?"

"Oh sorry, your music is just a bit too loud," I replied in hopes he would turn it down a bit.

"Whatever." he replied back shortly.

That's all he says? Well, he's rude, I swear men have periods, too . . . I turn towards the window and gaze at the pinkish orange clouds that littered the sky. I leaned my head on the window and gently closed my eyes. I wanted to sleep for a bit and my wish was granted when darkness washed over me.

_____________________________

I awoke to a tapping on my shoulder then yawned and rubbed my eyes before finally turning around.

"What?" I asked groggily.

"We're about to land in New York," a man replied.

"Thanks mister um..." I trailed off. He seemed to be confused at first before realizing I wanted his name.

"Darren," he replied, "My name is Darren."

"Cool, my name is Thalia." I chirped. "And thanks Darren, but how did you know that I was going to New York?"

He appeared nervous and hesitated a bit before answering. "I don't know, you just looked like you were going there."

I eyed him suspiciously. Okay then? "We are about to land in New York, so please get ready to gather your belongings." The speakers announced.

About five minutes later, we landed. I stood up and stretched my aching legs and was satisfied by the crack and pop of my sore back. I took my backpack from the compartment above my seat and walked out of the plane with the other passengers while looking for signs of the baggage claim. I made my way to the baggage carousel and grabbed my suitcase while also searching the glass doors for a cab parked outside.

When a cab finally came, the driver put my bags in the trunk and walked back to the driver's seat. I sat in the back in my stiff seat and I thought, 'New York, here I come'. The cab driver began to pull away and I smiled and peered out the window to the city scenery.

Sorry that it is a really short one, but it is my first chapter! How did you like it? I want to thank GaytasticMonster for doing a very well job on editing for me. - No-Soul-Ginger and GaytasticMonster.