Chapter 13

IN THE STILLNESS OF my bedroom, something had changed. I wasn't alone. The gray mist of dawn lightened the window shades. My eyes swam into focus. Alexander was there, sitting on the edge of my bed. His shirt was blood-spattered, his hair messed up.

Last night came rushing back to me: Vigo. The police. Alexander knocking me out of the way. How I'd blacked out for a minute after falling to the ground, and then opened my eyes to see Alexander being restrained by the police ... and Vigo gone. Luisa and Katie had helped me up and rushed me out, frantic. Luisa called her parents so they could pick us up and take me straight home. I'd been in a daze, barely able to make sense of anything.

"I'm sorry to have wakened you," Alexander whispered. "I just wanted to make sure you were all right."

"I'm fine," I said, sitting up. I'd never been so happy to see someone. "Did you break out of jail?"

"There was no need. Once you left, I broke free of the police and went after Vigo. But he was long gone."

"I can't figure out how you got there so fast."

Alexander set his jaw. "I had already tracked Vigo to the club. He had lined up with everyone else, bold as brass. I had to find an alternate entrance. I ended up having to enter through a third-story window."

"I don't understand it. Why would he attack with so many people around?"

"He wanted to make a scene. A horrific scene." Even in the shadows of my bedroom, I didn't miss the hard glint in his eyes. "You almost got yourself killed, Amy."

"Me? What about you?"

"I was poised to kill Vigo."

"And the police were about to shoot you. If I hadn't jumped in —"

"If you hadn't jumped in, Vigo would be dead. I had to let him go in order to prevent you from being shot."

"You think you could have staked him before they shot you?"

"Yes."

"But as soon as you drove the stake into him, they would've opened fire on you!"

"Very likely."

I stared at him, unable to believe what I was hearing. "And that would've been okay?"

"Vigo would be dead, and that is all that matters. I would have fulfilled my destiny."

"It's not your destiny to die!" I said it with such force that my head throbbed.

"How can you know that?"

"I just do. That's why I stepped in."

"Vigo knows about you now," Alexander said quietly.

I pictured Vigo, and felt a stab of fear. His skin was smooth and pale, so pale that he'd reminded me of a sick little boy, someone you'd want to comfort, not run from. I'd seen him play the helpless card when Alexander had been about to stake him.

How many people who had helped Vigo had paid with their lives?

"He doesn't necessarily know that I know you, right?" I asked, hearing the tremor in my voice. "I ... I could've just been some person not wanting to see anyone get shot."

"You jumped in front of police with their weapons drawn. He knows, Amy."

I glanced toward the window. "He can't come in, right?" I remembered my dream about letting the vampires in, and shivered.

"Unless he is invited, he can't come in. Let your mother and Chrissy know that they are not to let a stranger into the apartment under any circumstances."