Chapter Twelve

Jared takes me through his daily exercise routine, and if I thought nighttime fun with Misha Collins was a workout, I'm forced to think the fuck again.

We start with treadmill jogging, just a few minutes to warm up and get some cardio in. What follows is a flurry of bench presses - inclined and regular -then push-ups and push-downs - walking and burpee and regular - followed by a variety of different leg raises and planks and crunches.

It's no wonder Jared went from skinny to ginormously ripped in the space of a few seasons.

Like me, he focuses on his core muscles and upper-body strength, and we finish with dumbbells - three sets, ten reps - and three sets, twelve reps of tricep dips.

I collapse on the floor after the last tricep dip, fire coursing up and down my arms and churning my blood to boiling, breath escaping in ragged pants.

I'm in pretty good shape, putting in a few solid hours on my body every day, so the exercise only serves to invigorate and relax me. Every muscle in my sweat-drenched body is completely loose, the tension gone from my shoulders and back.

I draw a hand down my glistening face, flushed and burning from exertion, basking in the wonderful spike of endorphins. I scramble to my feet, entire body throbbing with each heartbeat.

Jared slings his towel over his shoulder and empties the remainder of his stainless steel water bottle. Still riding an elated high from the workout, I follow him upstairs with the intention of showering.

I love this post-workout feeling; it's better than any of the drugs I tried in college. In hindsight, I was pretty stupid, recklessly chasing a cloud nine-hundred euphoria that I can obtain by stretching my muscles a little.

Dani's sitting on the bed folding laundry when I emerge from the shower, a towel wrapped around my waist.

"Babe, we need groceries," she hums, adding one of my plaid button-downs to the stack. I cross the room and grab it, before pulling it over my head.

"I'll take care of it." I lean down to plant a quick smooch on the top of her head.

Dani beams up at me and then pulls me in by my jaw, connecting our lips in a kiss.

"Okay, check and see if you're running low on anything before you go. Toothpaste, shampoo..."

"Mhmm." I discard the towel and pull on a pair of clean boxers and ripped jeans. "I have everything I need."

"Okay. See ya, babe."

"See you," I call over my shoulder. "Take it easy while I'm gone."

Downstairs, I pocket my keys and wallet and head out the door, locking it behind me. I sniffle against the crisp late-November air as I walk around to the driver's side of my car.

I'm not sure what Misha's planning to make for lunch, so it's difficult to make a mental list of the supplies needed. I send him a hasty text before starting the car with a flick of the keys in the ignition.

I make sure to don a pair of sunglasses and a hat before leaving the car. No matter how accustomed I am to this lifestyle, it still irks me to find surprise snapshots of me in various states of my grocery runs online. I love my job, but signing paperwork, fielding the media, getting ambushed by reporters and journalists that swarm me out of nowhere...not so loveable.