Chapter Sixteen

"They're here," Dani murmurs, adjusting a stray strand fallen from the lopsided bun that sits atop her head. I lope across the gleaming hardwood floor to join her at the front door.

She smells like cherry blossom and jasmine perfume, looking stunning with her thick, voluminous locks and perfectly-winged eyeliner. Her skin is aglow with ethereal health, eyes vivid.

Sure enough, headlights appear over the driveway as my parents' sedan rolls lazily up the curvy road, tires crunching under the gravel path. They're visiting in honour of the babies, mainly to offer support through the first and roughest weeks after the births.

"Relax," I murmur, massaging her tense shoulders.

"Easy for you to say. You're not the one who'll almost certainly get into a fuck you, fuck you with her mother-in-law within seconds of her arrival."

"Dani, for the last time. You're not the problem. You're perfect."

It's true; my wife has a perfect body, perfect skin, perfect hair, perfect teeth, perfect everything. Even if I was Mother Teresa in a past life, I wouldn't deserve to score someone like her. Girls everywhere are crazy jealous of Dani - and they should be. She's model-gorgeous, more beautiful than most women can ever hope to be on their best day. "If my mom has issues with you, that's on her." Dani bites her lip, staring out through the stained-glass door at the car pulling into the driveway with a trail of dust billowing in its wake. "But I promise you," I murmur, "it'll be okay."

"You sure?"

"Yes. It'll be fine," I reassure her, leaning in for a chaste, strawberry-flavoured kiss.

But as soon as they cross the threshold, I start to have doubts myself.

"Hello, Danneel." Mom trains sharp green daggers on my wife after hugging the shit out of me and JJ. They contrast with her broad smile to intimidate the crap out of her victims.

"Hello, mother," Dani swallows. "I hope you've been well."

"I've been good, dear; you would know that if you called once in a while."

"We try," Dani wrings her hands nervously. "Just - busy with preparations for the babies. Anyway, we're all together now! Come on in, both of you."

Dani and I usher my folks through the door and into the open-concept living room, where a squealing JJ runs out to meet them.

Dad immediately swings my little girl over his shoulder and heads into the family room to catch up, which leaves Dani, mom and I gathered around the marble kitchen island.

"So, darling, how's the pregnancy been?"

"Fine, just fine," Dani gushes, putting on an oven mitt and hurrying to pull a roast chicken out of the oven. My mom rushes to help, while I start grabbing plates for dinner.

"You must be excited."

"Oh, absolutely; I just want them out," Dani laughs airily. "The only thing I'll miss about pregnancy is the fact that I got to skip my period for nine months."

"Oh," mom waves a dismissive hand, "that's nothing. Menopause is much worse."

Dani frowns as she arranges several organic, gluten-free food platters on the table.