Legacy: Chapter 7

The first thing Christen noticed when she returned to her girlfriend's dorm at NYU was that Kelley O'Hara and a redhead girl were passed out on the opposing bed.

The second thing she noticed was her girlfriend, stretched out on the other bed. Tobin wore ripped white jeans and a grey tee-shirt along with a grey snapback, an outfit Christen couldn't help but laugh at.

This gained Tobin's attention, who grinned at the sound of Christen's laughter and ran up to greet her. 

"Hey Chris!" She chuckled, pecking Christen on the cheek with a grin.
The darker haired lady pulled Tobin into a tight hug, feeling Tobin's familiar heartbeat against her breast.

"I love you," Tobin whispered, kissing Christen once, twice, and then winking at her.

The smile that Tobin expected to create on her girlfriend's face didn't come and she frowned deeply, biting her lip. Christen hesitated awkwardly before forcing the grin to come.

Tobin didn't smile back, knowing very well that Christen wasn't happy. She just couldn't figure out why. The only reason the woman was hesitant to ask was because she knew that Christen closed down when pestered about her feelings.

Instead, Tobin pressed her lips back onto Christen and hugged her again.

A snicker came from the bed and Tobin turned, her frown deepening as she and Christen glared at Kelley.

"HI, CHRISTEN!" Kelley shouted gleefully, her eyes wide as she flung herself at the older woman.

"Kels, don't yell," Tobin reprimanded softly, hitting her. "You could wake up-" she stared at the red haired girl that was formerly next to her. "Uh... Who is that?"

"Edith Bazley," Kelley answered. "But don't worry, she's blind."

Christen and Tobin both stared at her with a confused expression. "Kels, doesn't being blind mean you can't see? Her hearing is fine... Plus, that's a little rude," Christen added after a moment of silence. 

Kelley's eyes widened and she blushed. "Oops..." Kelley turned to look at the girl on the bed. She hissed at the sleeping lump, "Uh, sorry?"

Christen chuckled at the senior's childish antics and shook her head. "Oh man," she whispered, tugging Tobin outside the dorm in order to escape the two girls.

The chilly October air brought tears to Tobin's eyes, but she ignored them, wrapping an arm around Christen's shoulders as they walked to their friend's apartment. It felt so good to be in contact with the older woman after weeks, even months of being apart. Students who passed the couple gave them nods of what seemed to be approval and for once, Tobin was proud to show off her girlfriend. They approached the apartment of Allie, Alex, Ali and Hope. 

Knocking on the door, a beaming Alex opened it and bear hugged Christen, pushing the air out of her lungs causing the woman to wheeze. The girls stepped inside and Alex apologetically let go of Christen who was thankful, only to be bombarded as Hope, Ali and Allie took their turns hugging her.

"Christen!" Hope smiled widely, punching her lightly in the forearm. "How's the job finding going?" 

Christen grinned back, hiding a wince of pain. Hope's punches hurt. "It's okay..." she tugged her leather jacket father onto her shoulder as Tobin pecked her on the cheek, Christen swatting at her in return. "The Western New York Flash has contacted me, and I have a meeting with the coach Thursday to discuss it..."

"Really, Chris?" Tobin asked loudly, her eyes wide with shock as she steppe backwards. "You never told me that!"

The forward laughed. "I know, Tobs. I just found out yesterday." 

Hope and Alex smiled at the duo's interaction and shut the door softly. "Want coffee?" Hope asked, gesturing towards the freshly brewed joe that Ali and Allie had in their hands. Christen nodded. "I would love some!" 

With Hope pouring the older woman a cup of coffee, Christen hung her jacket on the coat rack and hugged Allie again. "How's it going around here?" she asked, smiling at the younger women.  

Ali shrugged. "You know... the usual college life," she laughed. "Not enough money, not enough food, too much work..." Christen nodded in agreement. She could easily remember her college days.

She nodded and waited for either Allie or Tobin to break the silence, but neither one of them spoke. Hope returned within a minute with two mugs and handed one to Tobin and Christen in return. "So!" she brought the girls into the living area. "Christen, how long are you in the city?" 

Christen exchanged a glance with Tobin before saying what she had not yet told her own girlfriend. "Only today and some of tomorrow. I'm actually traveling to Chicago to stay with some high school friends before the meeting with the Flash Thursday. My flight is tomorrow at nine." 

Tobin's eyes went wide and she looked at the ground, feeling everyone's eyes on her. 

"That's wonderful!" Allie responded awkwardly, figuring it was her turn to break the ice. "How long are you staying with them?"

"Um...three days in Chicago, and then I'm staying with with my sister in eastern New York State before returning to the west," Christen explained, smiling. "She just got married in June, and now she and her husband, Jeffery, are expecting a kid!" 

Ali beamed. "Really? That's awesome! You're going to be an aunt!" 

"Yeah, I know! It's so hard to believe! Melissa's only twenty five, but she's already settled down and happy. I gu- I guess they're both ready for this..."

Nobody noticed the surprised expression on Tobin's face, who swallowed dryly and bit her lip. This subject of conversation had never come up before, and she didn't know why. As the main figure in Christen's life, she expected to be aware of these important newsbits. 

Instead of speaking towards Tobin, Alex smiled and said, "That's amazing, Chris! I'm so happy for them. Let your sister know that we wish her and her husband the best!"

Christen beamed and nodded at Alex. "Of course I will!"