Legacy: Chapter 49

Tobin groaned and she buried her head so far into her pillow that it became hard to breathe. 

Allie sighed in unison with Ashlyn on the goalkeeper's bed. The two best friends and Ashlyn were hanging out in the room Tobin shared with Ash. It was the first day back of Spring Break, and everybody was either hungover, exhausted or depressed. Sometimes all three. 

Ashlyn's head was pounding, but she had already taken six advils and Allie had warned her not to take anymore. The forward herself was staring up at the popcorn ceiling, swaying in and out of consciousness. 

Tobin, while experiencing all of these problems, had only one thing on her mind. The one thing that she wanted to see more than anything, if only it was just for a few minutes. Maybe it was a side effect of her hangover, but Christen's beautiful face couldn't stop swimming in front of her eyes. No, she wasn't actually there, but it was like she was. 

Closing her eyes didn't do anything, Tobin realized. It just made it so much more real. Tobin's ex girlfriend had been living in Chicago for the past two and a half months, and nothing; not even a text, had been sent. 

As the midfielder glanced over at the neighboring bed, she saw that Ashlyn was knocked out flat. Probably the medication. Allie was turned on her side, she had been silently observing Tobin's relationship with her pillow that was now covered in tears and snot. 

"You okay, Toby?" the blonde asked flatly. She looked like to was about to pass out as well. 

Tobin shrugged. "Meh."

Allie turned back onto her back and returned her gaze to the ceiling. After a moment of silence Allie said, "Tobin, it's so weird..." 

Tobin looked over at her again. "What?" she muttered. 

"How fast it's going. College. Like it was yesterday, when we were freshmen. Fighting over the smallest things. We were so dumb," Allie chuckled lightly. "I feel like we've been living here for only a couple of weeks. But...we're graduating," she shook her head. "It's unbelievable. Who would've thought that a  group of... nitwits... like us could actually get through college?" 

Tobin laughed quietly. "We're almost done, Allie. After we graduate, what then? What do we do?" 

Allie shrugged. "I don't know, Tobs," she whispered, reaching her hand out towards her best friend. Tobin took her hand and squeezed it. "Whatever happens, we'll be okay." 

Allie nodded. "We'll be okay. We'll be just fine." Her voice slowly died out and as the brunette looked at her, Allie was asleep. Tobin chuckled at her friend and stood up from her bed. She needed to get out. 

Moments later, the girl found herself knocking on Alex Morgan's door. It opened and Hope answered it. "Hey Tobs," she greeted. Her arm was in a sling and a giant green cast, but her hair was messed up and Tobin could barely see the half dressed body of Carli in the background of the apartment.  

"What did you do to yourself now?" the midfielder asked in surprise. 

"Car crash," Hope answered. 

Tobin blushed. "Um... Is Alex here?" she stammered. 

Hope shook her head. "No, she went to hang out with Kelley." 

Tobin's eyes widened and her mouth opened. "Kelley? Like, our Kelley? O'Hara?" She couldn't believe what she was hearing. 

"I know, it's shocking," Hope joked. "But, yeah, O'Hara." 

"Thanks," Tobin said breathlessly, walking away slowly. She heard the door close and a low moan escape from inside the apartment. Somehow, Hope and Carli still managed it with only three working arms. 

On the walk to Kelley's dorm room, Tobin practiced what she was going to say to her friend. It was her fault that Servando had broken up with her, but Tobin wasn't going to say that she was wrong. She knew she wasn't, and the fact that Alex was with Kelley gave her even more proof. What would she say then? Would a sorry be good enough?

Tobin approached Kelley's room and opened the propped open door. Alex and Kelley were sitting on the beds, watching what looked to be The 100 on TV. Alex glared at her and Kelley paused the episode. 

"Tobin, what the hell are you doing here?" Alex said, her voice nearing a growl. The midfielder raised her hands in a surrender. "I come in peace," she said. 

"What is it?" Alex demanded, her voice not becoming any friendlier. 

Tobin shrugged. "I just wanted to say that I'm sorry... I would never break you and Servando up without a good reason. And I hope you know that."

The forward stood up. She frowned. "Apology, not accepted!"