Chapter I

[Original story formerly published in paper by the Star Trek Italian Club, which graciously granted permission to publish it digitally. Cover and drawings by Chiara Falchini.]

]

Chapter I

Commander William Riker walked the curving corridor of the Enterprise with a half-smile bending up the corner of his mouth, a joyful spark in his eyes, his steps fast and impatient, and he didn't almost see the people coming across him, giving them just a distracted nod. He was absorbed in pleasant memories, never faded by the implacable flowing of time, and he was full of an almost devouring anticipation.

Therefore, around a corner he barely avoided to run over Deanna Troi, the ship's counsellor, nearly slamming her against the wall.

"Hey!", the young, beautiful brunette cried, "Where are you running? Is there a fire on board?"

Riker gazed at her bewildered, before abruptly coming back to reality.

"Oh... I beg your pardon, Deanna!", he stuttered, embarrassed, "Did I hurt you?"

Deanna smoothed her uniform, which green colour showed her belonging to the scientific staff, and reassured him:

"No, no, absolutely. But where are you going in such a rush?"

"If you come with me, I'll explain it", Riker replied, inviting her with a gesture and setting off. Deanna hurried at his side, taking three steps each two of the Number One's long legs, and glanced at him questioningly. Riker had an impulsive character, which he had learned to dominate for a long time now, and the excitation she perceived in him, with the clarity her empathic nature gave her, was therefore somewhat unusual, even if absolutely not alarming.

"Do you remember Viviana Morgante?", Riker asked, stopping in front of the turboelevator. After a moment, the doors slid apart with a hydraulic hiss, revealing the car, and they entered.

"Transporter Room 1", the first officer ordered the computer. The car moved while Deanna pondered:

"Wasn't she your best friend during the Academy years?"

"Exactly she", Riker confirmed smiling, "And she's coming to the Enterprise."

"Really?", asked Deanna, puzzled, "If I don't remember wrong, she didn't finish the Academy... Or maybe she returned there later...?"

She left the interrogation suspended, and Riker shook his head:

"No, when she retired it was a final decision. She simply realised she wasn't apt to military life and dedicated herself to a wholly different career."

"Creator of holographic games, right?"

"Excellent memory!", the Commander complimented her, beaming his contagious smile, "She's become a true authority in this field, almost a kind of institution. There's no game publishing company which wouldn't pay a fortune to employ her permanently, but she's very independent and prefers to sell her creations to whom she chooses, that is, someone who is willing to respect her ideas, rather than someone who pays the highest fee."