Chapter VI

[Original story formerly published in paper by the Star Trek Italian Club, which graciously granted permission to publish it digitally. Cover and drawings by Chiara Falchini.]

]

Chapter VI

Meanwhile, inside the game nightfall was coming.

"We'll have to camp", Viviana suggested, "Let's brush up our Academy memories, when they forced us to bivouac in the most arduous spots!"

Her feeble attempt to be humorous had some positive effect, because both Deanna and Riker showed a faint smile. They searched for a suitable place nearby, finding some shelter under the fronds of a small poplar wood, growing on the side of a narrow stream.

"Let's find some dry wood", Riker said, beginning to do it himself. They found many dried branches – the game called for it, as Viviana well knew. Rummaging in a heap of fallen twigs, Data found a rolled up parchment and brought it to the other ones.

"Well, open it!", Viviana exhorted him, already imagining what it was about. Data broke the seal, which had an elaborated emblem on it, portraying a flying griffon, and read aloud:

"We inform the players of the following: Lord Riker, second level; Lady Deanna, third level; Master Data, third level; Sister Viviana, unchanged level."

Riker lifted his eyebrow, making a slightly offended face:

"Why have all been advanced to the third level and I only to the second?"

Viviana chuckled:

"Think about what you did, and confront it with what the other ones did."

The first officer glowered: he must admit that he had actually done nothing, because during their encounter with the monstrous spider he just climbed on the tree, and when they had been assailed he couldn't even draw his sword, while Deanna had cast two spells– paralysis on the spider and healing on him – and Data had killed a hare, shot the spider and knocked off one of the aggressors.

"But you didn't improve level at all", he observed, a mocking light in his bright blue eyes. Viviana reciprocated with a smile as much as mocking:

"At my level, a much higher score is required to improve."

"Ha!", he muttered, touché, "Why, what level are you?"

"In this game, the nineteenth."

Riker burst into laughter:

"Serves me right, I forgot never to underestimate you!"

Deanna noticed something else:

"And what level are you, in other games?"

Viviana shrugged:

"I allow to publish a game only after I've finished it personally, and the levels go from at least 25 up to a maximum of 36. Sword & Sorcery has 25 levels", she added, anticipating the next question.