Chapter 2: trust no one

Why did he stop to talk to me? Since when does he even notice me in the halls? When did he learn my name? But most of all, why did he care? Hayes was the athletic, smart, funny and super cute guy every girl in school was in love with. With his brown hair that he flips every two seconds, ocean blue eyes, and the perfect smile. I was the dork with braces, and acne covering my forehead. I was the shy and under confident freak who sliced her wrists just to make the pain go away. I was the one who couldn't look in the mirror because I was afraid of who I'd become. Hayes knew what he wanted to do in life. He knew where he was going. Unlike me, who had absolutely no clue.

I grabbed my key from my backpack and unlocked the front door to my house. As usual no one was home except for my dog, digs. Usually if you have a dog when you get home they come running to greet you. Digs just sat there with his golden retriever head laying on the ground. Even he wanted nothing to do with me. Even a dog could tell the normal people from the screw ups.

I lugged my stuff upstairs and plopped down on my bed staring at the blank ceiling. Posters of Justin Bieber stared at me from all walls, scanning me like a concert ticket. My side table stood with scratches of blades all over it. Memories of every cut I've done for the past year. I looked at my wrists and saw one blank spot. I exhaled. "Don't you want to be like the rest? Don't you want to fit in?" And with an angry motion I grabbed my blade and slit my wrist deep enough for the blood to come out as soon as the blade made contact. I winced a bit, I still wasn't used to the pain. Before the blood dropped to the carpet I grabbed my towel and wrapped it around my slit area. I put the blade back in my drawer and grabbed a bandage from the bag hayes had used earlier. I could just imagine him sitting in front of me with his eyes closed, not wanting anything to do with what was happening. As I rose to my feet, I heard my phone go off. One missed text from Abby.

"Where the hell were you last period? I was looking for you. But then someone told me you were hanging with Hayes. I already told you that you can't get a guy like that so stop trying. Text me back when you get this."

What was her problem? I knew she liked Hayes but she didn't have to insult me. I made sure she knew I read it and didn't respond. For that moment I actually wanted to talk to Hayes. For some weird reason I had this feeling like he was the only one I could trust.