Chapter Twenty-Six

Behind Sanity 

                                                                Chapter Twenty-Six 

                                                                                1 

               Back in her rightful attire of dress, apron and boots, though with her hair still a bit damp, Alice trudged on after the rabbit across the grassy ground, lined on each side by mushrooms larger than she was.  These mushrooms watched her intently with yellow, glowing eyes that they thought she couldn’t see, and she could also see their sharp teeth revealed under their otherwise safe-looking edge.  They were being patient, just hoping she would venture close enough to them so that they might pull her in beneath their dome and have a nice snack.  But Alice was aware of the danger.  Rabbit had already warned her to stay away.  So she smiled at them, keeping her distance, and taunted one with her tongue as she passed.  It really was great fun, and she was feeling a bit carefree at the moment from the rush of the Carcass-race.

                 It was dark by this time beneath the towering grass and leaves, but glowing toadstools of fantastic colors lit up the atmosphere and made a lovely presentation.  She and Rabbit were traveling to see the Caterpillar now.  Finally, they had made it to his realm.  Before she had even reached the spot, she smelled the smoke.  The odor was thick and overwhelming, but not putrid.  Strangely, she almost remembered the exact aroma from several years before.

                 “We’re almost there, right Rabbit?” Alice asked, quickening her pace.

                 “Yes, yes, Alice,” he assured her. “Almost there.”

                 “Then let’s go!” she said, breaking off in a run.  The rabbit had no choice but to hurry after her. 

                 Pushing herself on further through the vast, glowing landscape, Alice smelled the aroma growing stronger.  She wondered what she would ask first.  Perhaps she could sit and all her questions would be answered with a single story.  She just hoped – for the ancient bug’s sake – he had her answers.

                 Parting two tall blades of grass, Alice found herself in a dark, open clearing, illuminated only by the light of a few cerulean toadstools.  The smoke floated through the air in rings of purple and pink.  The smell was hot and overpowering to her senses, making her feel relaxed and drowsy.

                 “Ah, Alice,” came a slow voice from the shadows. “I am glad to see that you made it.”

                 Out of the darkness, Alice caught sight of the bug.  He sat, curled around atop a large glowing toadstool of red.  His olive skin was shriveled and dry with age.  He held his hookah firm in a hand close to his mouth while his other limbs busied themselves with supporting his weight, or moving along with his words as he spoke.

                 “Let’s get down to business,” said Alice hastily.

                 The Caterpillar nodded, also ready to begin.  “Have a seat.”

                 Alice stuck her knife into the soft surface of the yellow toadstool growing in front of his taller one.  Then, she pulled her small form onto it, crossing her lower legs before her and clasping her hands around her knees, then sitting patiently for a moment, staring up at the bug as he let some colorful smoke roll from his mouth.