Chapter Forty-Seven

Behind Sanity

Chapter Forty-Seven

 1

                Once again Alice found herself leaning over her niece’s bed, but this time it was different than before.  This time, Morgan was no longer comatose.  John had seen to the girl and after a time of anxious waiting, Alice was finally allowed into the room to see the young girl that had not seen her aunt in reality for quite a while.

                At the moment, Morgan was resting peacefully and Alice didn’t want to wake her.  The girl was probably exhausted and though Alice wanted to hug her until she couldn’t breathe, she was content for the time with squeezing her hand.

                Alice knew that a large, important part of her mission was still to come, but by getting Morgan back she felt she’d truly gotten a great fraction of her job done.  But there were still many other souls to save.  She laid her head against Morgan’s hand and began pondering all the different souls.  How many were there?  Hundreds?  Thousands?  The Queen was holding them there.  How powerful was she?  Also, what was she and where did her power come from?  No one seemed to know exactly, and no one could tell poor Alice.

                As Alice rested her head on Morgan’s small hand, the girl’s delicate fingers began to move.

                “Aunt Alice?”

                Large blue eyes roamed curiously around the room as Alice lifted her head to her niece.  The girl was pale, but seemed strong enough and she was smiling, but most importantly, she was awake.

                “How do you feel?” asked Alice.

                “Better,” replied Morgan weakly. “I’m supposed to get food soon.”

                Alice took a deep breath, taking Morgan’s hand in both of her own.  She’d been dreading to tell the girl about her parents, but had insisted to John that she wanted to do it herself.  She’d considered waiting a bit, but supposed that now would be as fine as later.

                “There’s something I need to tell you,” she said in her softest and most careful voice.

                “What is it?” asked Morgan, her small eyebrows furrowing in concern.

                “It’s about your mummy and daddy,” she began. “They…”

                “I know,” Morgan said suddenly, blocking her off. “They’re lost.”

                Coming from Morgan, the words made Alice shudder, but she had to deal with it nonetheless.

                “I’m going to get them out!” Alice assured her, wondering briefly how Morgan knew.

                “There was another white rabbit,” said Morgan after a pause. “Tried to trick me.  But I didn’t fall for it!”

                Morgan said this so proudly that Alice couldn’t help but smile approvingly.

                “Do you know what he’s been doing?’ Alice asked. “What he’s up to?”

                Morgan shook her blond head.

               “No.  I only saw him once.  But I know he’s bad.  He told me about my parents.”

                After the fall into silence, Alice heard Morgan’s stomach growl and felt the immediate motherly urge to find her some food.  Perhaps she’d go ask one of the nurses or go check on what was going on with John.  She began to rise up, pressing her weight on the bed, but before she could rise, Morgan grabbed her arm suddenly.