CHAPTER THIRTEEN : ANTOINETTE AND MARIE!

The day after the Pi Sisters' confession dawned dark and stormy, just like the girls mood. How awful it was to have to snakes in your form!

But beneath the gloom, excitement was bubbling. The new girls would be arriving today!

'I hope they're jolly nice,' remarked Hillary, who had been forgiven by Pat and Isabel. 'It would make up for the disappointment of the Pi Sisters!'

The girls eagerly trooped to breakfast. Oh, how exciting it was to have two new girls in the form!

They sat down and tucked into their marmalade-laden toasts and hard boiled eggs. They could hardly wait!

'Look!' exclaimed Pat suddenly. 'It's them!'

The girls stared at the stranger standing in front of them. He hair, which was pinned up in a frightful fashion, was dyed and permed a hideous platinum blonde colour. Her wavy tresses framed her rather broad face, which was plastered with all sorts of makeup and was tinted rather orange. Her eyelashes were clumped together with mascara. All in all, her appearance was rather shocking!

'Hey guuuuurlz,' she drawled. 'My name is An-toy-netty! But you can call me Netty. Geez, don't y'all look like sights, with your scrubbed faces an' brushed hair!'

Doris let out a strangled gasp. 'She - she's - American!' she moaned, as if the new girl had just commited a cardinal sin.

Antoinette took no notice. She pulled up a seat between Pat and Isabel, who looked at her in amusement. The new girl was shaping up to be a real treat!

'Lords above,' twanged Antoinette. 'Look at this funny food! Why, toast and jammy buns? In America, we had pancakes an' fried potatoes every mornin'!'

The girls shrieked with laughter. 'Pancakes!' wheezed Pat. 'Really, you're simply a peach!'

Antoinette smiled lazily. 'A peach?' She drawled. 'Now, what on Earth could that be meanin'?'

The Pi sisters eyed Antoinette in distaste. She seemed frightfully boisterous! 'And she has an awful accent,' whispered Fanny. 'Awfully common. And to think, pancakes every morning! Its a wonder she isn't sporting a huge pot belly.'

'Quite,' agreed Doris drolly. 'This school is being overrun by commoners! First that awful William, then this wench. Really, there are too many foreigners to handle!'

Just then, someone tapped Hillary's shoulder. 'Exusez-moi,' said a curt voice. 'Je m'appelle Marie.'

Everyone turned to stare. Marie was a slim French girl, with dark hair and exquisite clothes. However, her face had a mean look to it, which Doris immediately took note of.

'The other new gurl!' said Antoinette, slapping her on the back. 'An' she's french! How dreadfully excitin'!'

'Tu es un roturier,' muttered Marie.

Just then, Mam'zelle rushed over. 'Ah, mon chere Marie! How you have grown!'

Mam'zelle enveloped Marie in a tight embrace, kissing her cheeks. The girl hurriedly squirmed out.

'Well,' said Janet. 'Two new girls - one French, and one American! This is going to be quite the term!'

Meanwhile, Antoinette was looking around, a smile playing on her lips. These prim and proper English girls were just too funny! 'I'll loosen them up a bit,' she thought to herself. 'Show them how we do it in America!'