Epilogue

EPILOGUE

LETTER OF ACCEPTANCE

Congratulations! We welcome you to Asphodel Academy of Arts. With this we announce that our new student

Name : Cadwell, Elena

Type : Shifter

Placed Grade : Beginner (II)

Year of birth : 1946

Years of rebirth : 1966, 2014

Guardian : Cadwell, Oliver

Named Benefactor : High Keeper of Fifth Region

Details about living requirements and books for new students are written on the booklet inside the envelope this letter comes with. Our newcomer will be able to settle in immediately on the first day of the month after this letter arrives.

For more information, Asphodel Academy can be contacted at

Email: asphodelacademy@academia.com

Asphodel Enrollment Department: www.asphodelacademy.edu/enrollment

This letter should be brought for registration.

Thank you.

I always felt a ticklish urge to laugh every time I reread the first line. Arts. Perfect disguise.

The letter sat on my lap as I looked outside the window. It was a clear day, and the sun streamed a clear patch on the bedroom floor. I saw a reflection of myself in the mirror-a girl in a tee and a brown print pants, twirling the small round pearl-like pendant on her chest. It had been a few days since I first opened the letter and the booklet had been out of the enveloped and open on the very last page for awhile. Downstairs, Ollie's should be very busy. My phone was buzzing noisily on my bed, a demand from someone to answer the call.

Nothing about my situation was fixable. Nothing about me was.

I picked up the call. "Will you drive me?" I asked into the phone.

Silence. And then, "Pack as much as you want. Be ready at ten tomorrow."

Tomorrow. November 1st.

I couldn't fix anything. Not before I learn what I had to fix, and even if after that I still couldn't, then maybe I'd just have to learn to live with it.

And leave everything behind while I'm at it.

∞∞∞∞∞The End∞∞∞∞∞

Author's Note:

Phew! Finally! Tons of thanks to my friend gus8gus who has edited the whole thing (I'm a sloppy typist). I know this story is still very...flawed. I'm trying my best to strengthen it, and also, I intend to write a sequel. Wish me luck! Perhaps, if you enjoy Incarnadine, you can also add it to your reading list.

And of course, thanks to all of you who have read this story! Love ya guys :)

UPDATE: I wrote a prequel! It took place a couple of years before Incarnadine and could also be read as a standalone. Check out Staying Under in my profile. Thank you!!!