Tamanna

I felt my hands tighten its grip on the phone. My jaws clenching tightly, my eyebrows coming together in a frown.

"How are you honey?"

The voice that I had always loved to hear, was now aching to my ears. I did not wish to hear it anymore. In fact, I did not want to talk to her anymore. 

"I think its a wrong number" I tried hard to keep my cool when replying. I was about to put the phone down, when I heard her say, "Of course its the right number. And You are the right person. Its just that now you do not feel the need to talk to me. Right?"

"Think whatever you want to. I dont care"

"Yes of course. Why would you care now, after all, you've got a new muse for yourself."

" Why the hell should I talk to you? After what you've..."

"What I've done? Or what you've done Mr. Pratik?" She snapped back and continued, "Anyways, I'm at your office gate right now. And I'm coming up to meet you."

"But I don't want to meet you." I said, totally pissed off now.

She let off an evil grin, "You dont have a choice darling. You'll soon receive a call from the receptionist. Tell her to let me in."

"I wont do that"

"You WILL." She said and disconnected the call. I was dumbstriken for a moment, What the hell did just happen? And how in the world did she find out my new number, my office and most importantly, why the hell is she back now? All of a sudden? But wait, isnt this the thing that I've always wanted to happen? Or always prayed to happen? Then why am I not wanting to meet her? Why this strange repelling feeling for her now? 
But whatever it is! I just DO NOT want to see her face now.

I heard the phone ring. I knew what it was for, so I just picked up the receiver and said, "Let her in"

I took a deep breath to calm myself. Fine! Good that she herself has decided to meet me, and now, I'm going to make her regret her own decision. 

I heard the door knob open. I directed my gaze in the opposite direction, straight out of the window.

I felt her enter the room. She locked the door behind her and walked slowly towards me.

My heart was beating faster and my breath, getting heavier with all the mixed feelings; anger, betrayal, heartbreak and many unexplainable emotions started passing through me. 

"Hi Pratzy" I flickered as she addressed me by my nickname,  the one which she used to call me in those old days.

"Pratik, it is. PRATIK." I said, snapping my head in her direction. My heart skipped a beat when I saw her. She was still as beautiful as she was in college. Our eyes locked, and for a few moments I felt myself getting carried away by her presence.

I got back to my senses, looking away from her, "What do you want now?"

Taking the chair opposite to mine, she said "You very well know what I want, dont you?"

My fingers clenched into a fist under the table. I was trying my level best to stay calm, gulping down the rising anger. I looked at her again but didnt say anything. She leaned on the table, pushing herself in my direction and said, "YOU. I want you and nothing more."

For the first time, I could see the sincerity in her eyes. Before it could melt me, I got up from my chair and walked towards the window, my back facing her.

"Thats not possible now. And you know that very well."

I felt her getting up from the chair and her footsteps getting nearer.