Chapter 14

It's been two days since I last spoke to Riley or Josh, of course I cared about them but I just needed some space. I had moved in with Shawn and Penelope. As soon as I got outside from this house Riley ran towards me. I hadn't been outside in a couple of days and the fresh air felt good. I ran a hand in my newly brushed hair before I put it up in a ponytail. Riley quickly stopped before she literally ran into me. She looked at me with a little smirk.

"What you smiling for?" I asked. She made a goofy little smile while jumping up and down, I looked concerned at her, has she lost her mind? She grabbed my arm and walked behind the house. I quickly followed behind her.

"Lucas, Farkle and I are going on a run to find some supplies, Josh told us, he also told us that you couldn't come along but we can sneak you out Maya! It will be fun!" She squealed. Going outside? I haven't been away for a long time. I couldn't stop my smile.

"But Josh still has my weapons." I whispered. Riley shook her head and lifted her shirt a little bit, revealing my gun and knife. I hugged her out of relief. Finally I would be able to do something for people. I needed this. Riley handed me my weapons which I quickly hid under my green shirt.

"Get ready, we are leaving in twenty minutes. I know that you can climb the walls. We will meet you over there." She said and pointed to the northern wall. She had picked a good wall, it wasn't that crowded there and it was pretty protected by houses and trees surrounding it. Riley left and I got inside again. I rushed to my room to change clothes. I out on a white sweater, at first I thought of taking a black one since that makes it easier to hide any dirt that I could get on it while outside but then I realized that it didn't matter. I had people looking after me all the time so it would just be a matter of time until they noticed I was gone. I changed my sneakers into my old boots and was just about to take a blue jacket that Riley had given me when I got here when I noticed the green military jacket hiding in my closet. The jacket I got from Josh. I took the green jacket and put it on. It had been cleaned but it still felt so familiar. It was a part of me now. I put on a belt that I could easily attach the gun and knife to. I took my backpack and then I was ready. I walked out feeling secure and calmer than I had in a long time.

I checked the clock in the kitchen. I it was about ten minutes until I was supposed to meet the others outside so I better get going. I would get in so much trouble for this but it is worth it. If Riley, Farkle and Lucas headed out without me and something happened I would never forgive myself. I tried to look as innocent as I could when I walked down the roads. People looked but they always did. I was pretty famous after that whole incident with the bad group. People had respect for me now. I saw Josh just about fifty meters away from me, what was worse was that he saw me too. I quickly disappeared into the crowd of people, looks like the whole community is outside today. I checked behind me and saw that he tried to follow me to no success, good for me. I got behind the houses and was at the wall. I wasted no time and started to climb directly. As I got to the top I turned around to watch. Thanks to the trees I could see them but they couldn't see me. Josh looked around, probably trying to find me. Ha, no chance.

 I climbed down the other side just in time. A car was rolling towards me. Riley was driving and the seat next to her was free so I easily jumped in. We all laughed at the feeling of being free when we drove away from Danvar. I felt a little sting of guilt in my chest as I thought of Josh but I shook it off. I needed to focus right now. I rolled down the window next to me and let the fresh air brush through my hair. This is who I am.