Honey.

Thursday. Dinner. The castle was cold. The knit Hufflepuff scarf was wrapped neatly around your neck as you released a breath of amazement and with stars in your eyes gazed at the ever excited tall student beside you. He shuffled forward, swiftly maneuvering through large barrels of various goods.

"See, it has a protection charm...! Usually it does not let other houses through..."

And you had thought you heard him wrong the first time. Why on earth did Newt Scamander want to drag you into the Hufflepuff Common room you had no idea, all he said was 'It is a surprise' and 'I believe you will very much like it'. It almost seemed like your bad influence was starting to rub off on him.

"...not even Polyjuice works! But I think that if I talk to...Hello!" You tilted your head to the side, trying to catch a glimpse of who he was conversing with – it was dark here, light shuffling could be heard ways down to the kitchens. All you could see was the tip of his long black cloak and with a small sigh you patiently waited for him to return. Newt was speaking fast again – either anxious or excited, but to be fair there was hardly a difference with him. When he returned he wore a joyous grin, unconsciously grasping your hand and pulling you along and through the dark entrance of the portrait.

Honey. The Hufflepuff Common room held a smell of honey and warm milk, the pleasant sound of cracking fire and the magnificent scent of it all making your head briefly spin before you grasped his hand tighter to return to reality. Your lips pried open and you took in a warm breath of amazement; up on the ceiling floated small oil lamps that emitted a yellowish glow, the whole airy room resembling more of a tavern than anything – there were many stools and tables and you figured it was because the room was so close to the kitchens. Way above your head stood round windows that, behind a potted plant on each one, showed the subtle darkness of the night. Wines and plants were placed at seemingly most random of places, the strong greenery of big and small leafs painting a pretty image on the otherwise plain stone walls. Couches held a small set of patches of dirt – though you doubted they were actually in need of cleaning – it was more of an aesthetic, no doubt. Lastly, up the stone brim of the playful fireplace a portrait of a pleasantly smiling woman sat comfortably and you immediately recognized her to be Helena Hufflepuff herself.

Unconsciously or not, you shifted closer to Newt when your eyes met the dark ones of hers. You wondered would she be mad if she saw those bright red colours of a rival house - that perhaps Newt would even get in trouble. But nothing happened, fact of the matter being the portrait never stopped to smile – on the glossing shift in her dark gaze went from somewhat dull to warm and greeting. Newt was too busy looking around if the coast was clear to notice any of this and only when he confirmed did he pull you closer to one of the round shaped doors. You were a bit taken aback – it was your first time seeing him so genuinely eager.

What you found yourself in next, after a bit of walking, was a beehive shaped room with five beds, greatly resembling the courtiers of your own House. Except in this one, the beds were of polished honey-covered wood and had silky bright yellow curtains instead of maroon ones. Newt let go and you stood by the doorway, feeling your heart starting to race in your chest. Why were you here? Your cheeks tinted with a soft blush as your eyes watched Newt fiddle with, presumably, his trunk. As he opened it he tilted his head to you, hurriedly prying his gaze away once he noted the flash of nervousness on your face. He licked his lower lip, blinking rapidly before saying, "I know this may seem...odd." He cleared his throat, "But I will...I will need you to follow me."

You raised a brow as if to ask, 'To where exactly?'. The question must've been clear since a grin pulled on Newt's lips, and gazing back into the depths of the massive dark leather case he stood straight and dipped one leg in. Frozen you watched as he slowly lowered himself way above his head before getting lost completely. A silent minute passed. Somewhere behind you a laugh echoed. Newt's hand darted out the surface, waiving you in. Unsure, you approached cautiously, nearly jerking when the door which leads to the array of bedchambers opened. With an adrenaline rush you jumped in and the lid closed behind you.