Rise of the Monarch [Chapter One]

Blurb:

If saving the world meant destroying the one you loved. Would you do it?

Lilani has been raised to be the best. She has been genetically altered and trained to become a lethal machine capable of anything. Along with her best friend Eric they both learn to control their abilities and progress in training. Eric is one day taken away from Lilani and they're friendship is left in ruins. Lilani grows to be near perfection but when The government that rule "the reality": The Monarch come in search for her, it is her only option but to flee and search help. In the reality it is up to Lilani too seek out a group of rebels going against the corrupted government and inevitably save the world. Yet when a familiar face from her past shows up saving the world seems to get a whole lot more complicated. Especially if it means denying the feelings she's been suppressing all her life, a love she cannot help but be over powered by. This is Lilani's story.

One

"Remind me why you have to go Eric?"

"Dunno, Allya says it's a surprise she won't tell me anything except that it's gonna change our lives it's gonna make me something like a superhero! Can you imagine that Ani? Me a real life superhero,"

Eric stared open eyed in wonder as he fantasized about the new life he was about to take on.

Ani. The way he'd said my name made my heart flutter. He was so excited, so happy, it had been a while since I had seen Eric smile the way he was now. How could he expect me to possibly be happy for him? He was leaving me, leaving everything. Yet how could I not be happy for him he was, of course, my best friend, being unhappy for him is just basically going against the whole friendship code shindig. God, it was a confusing one. I opened my mouth just about to tell Eric how much I didn't want him to go, but no words would come out. Don't get me wrong, I am a pretty emotional character, but trying to get my feelings through to other people I pretty much fail at. I never find words to make people understand, so in most circumstances silence is always the better option.

Eric tore his gaze away from the sky and then stared blankly down below where the landscape was ruined by the rows of shabby cells and large cabins. I followed his gaze and looked at the disgusting scenery, please don't take that word disgusting lightly, I mean no exaggeration, that place was downright FOUL! No wonder Eric was excited; this place was a dump, jeez, if I'd got given a chance to leave this hole I'd have been out before you could say 'bob's your uncle'.

Eric sighed deeply then looked at me, sadness filled his eyes. Wow, there my heart went again.

"I mean as an added bonus, it'll be great to escape this hell hole. I just wanna get out and forget about everything I've went through here, trying to become a stupid perfect specimen. What the hell is that anyway?"

Eric growled as he forcefully kicked the ground below him. He was right. Life here wasn't exactly peachy; people who wish for things to be perfect are so driven by this desire that they don't really care how much they hurt others. Eric and I knew that all too well... The people here are so focused on us becoming the 'perfect specimen' that they push us to our limits, so much so that it makes living here hell. Even still, I knew he would be happy to leave here and forget about the horrible stuff, but yet as he said the words I felt myself cringing as if he'd just slapped my face. The word 'forget' was not something I took lightly. I shifted uncomfortably, sheesh, what was up with me tonight?! Okay, as I've already said, I am a pretty emotional girl but come on I gotta have some guts left in me! it was hard though, basically this could go one of two ways: One I could break down and cry then wrap myself around Eric and not let him go until he agreed to stay, or, (this way I feel being the more sensible of the two) I could put on my brave face, fake smile, nod occasionally and just basically be happy for my best friend, he was finally getting a chance in life and who was I to be so selfish and strip it away from him? There was one thing that bothered me though, and it bothered me deeply. One question I needed answered...