Rise of the Monarch [Chapter Three]

Note: THIS IS THREE YEARS LATER...

Three

I knew what I had to do. It was obvious. Yet seventeen years of eating, sleeping and breathing this I knew that there was no way it was as straightforward as it looked - a lone case in the middle of a courtyard. A case that contained the very thing I needed. The very thing I was going to get. No guards, no guns, no security. Yeah right. I'm no genius but even I know that in that case is the very thing that will mean my success, and you don't need a genius to know that the case must have the highest protection in order to keep me from it. What did they take me for? I was Lilani for crying out loud, I wasn't going to fall for any of this. I withdrew one of my sai, there was the slight noise of my blade rubbing against its sheath as I took it out and that's when suddenly everything sprung to life. I should have known there were sound sensitive alarms! One mistake, no worries I could still get this right. Everything in the courtyard had popped into action; guns appeared out of the ground, arrows flew towards me from both directions and the ground beneath me began to open. This should be interesting. I took a few deep breaths, too gather my energy, plus I always love to be dramatic. Ok, enough drama, let's do this! I spring flipped across the middle to the courtyard avoiding the arrows. Next thing I knew my senses began to tingle, just on queue a net fell from above me, lined with heavy steel balls. Ha, as if that was gonna hold me seriously? My mind stretched out and with a swish of my arm the net changed direction as I controlled it. I sent it hurling into one of the guns that was shooting out lasers in my direction. The net caught it, wrapped round it, and then gripped the gun forcefully. The gun malfunctioned, then on queue it exploded. Like I said, I liked to be dramatic. Three more guns remained. I could take them out with my mind, but it would exert loads more energy than was really needed. Instead I ran into the middle of them all. I knew by previous lectures that these laser guns were heat sensitive and would follow my body temperature. I set up my strategic plan: me standing in the middle would cause all the guns too fire in my direction; stating the obvious. Like I'd planned the lasers came darting towards me; I stood still until the very last minute then I sprang from off the ground into the air. I landed in time to watch the lasers cross fire and instead of heading for me were sent rocketing towards the laser gun directly opposite them. I smiled as two more laser guns went up in flames. Three down: one to go. Oh the joy of watching technology burn up in flames. I once again drew my sai's. I forward flipped onto the top of the gun and watched as it got ready to fire straight into my face. It may not have sounded like a smart move but as the barrel of the gun grew brighter I seized the opportunity and jammed both my sai's down the barrel. Then backward flipping off the gun I landed a few meters away and covered myself in a telekinetic force field. It was at that moment that the laser gun, seeing as it was jammed expanded and then exploded, I cringed slightly as bits of gun debris slammed against my force field. But none the less I held it strong. I then withdrew the force field and sighed. Mission was almost complete. I never got tired of the feeling of completing a mission; it gave you a great flush of victory. You'd achieved something, you'd kicked butt and I suppose it was a pretty proud moment. I strolled over the mess that I had created, towards the case. I was about to bend down and claim my prize when suddenly I heard a rumbling. Oh crap? What now. I turned round, and felt proud mood instantly crushed. Behind me a huge cannon had been put in place.

"What the frick? This isn't part of the mission."

I breathed unevenly.

Suddenly things didn't seem so easy, not so easy at all.

The canon got fired up, and I didn't have time to figure out a good enough plan of what to do. A spontaneous decision was what they expected of me, and right now I didn't think I had it in me. I picked up the case and clipped it on to my belt. I decided I was gonna make a run for it. Oh come on, I'm good and everything but when you've got a giant cannon in your face you're not just gonna stand there and take it?! As I turned to leave two shackles sprung from the ground and clipped my feet. Yet another unplanned thing, jeez, this was not looking good. The cannon rumbled again, it was gonna fire.