Chapter 3

The gang was just about to start their baseball game at the Vacant Lot when along came Helga and Lila.

"Hey, Pataki," called out Gerald. We could use another shortstop. You in or out?"

Before Helga could respond, Lila spoke for her. "Sorry, not today, Gerald. We're ever-so busy." She grabbed Helga by the shoulders almost forcefully, and pushed her away.

Gerald groaned in frustration. "Man, what is up with Helga lately? Since when did she and Lila get an ll chummy-chummy?"

"Beats me," responded Arnold. "It happened around the same time Phoebe started acting really weird..."

At the mention of Phoebe's name, Gerald became anxious, looking over his shoulder. "She's not here, is she?"

Arnold glanced over his shoulder and frowned. "Don't think so - what's the matter?"

"Nothing, it's just that...ever since that close call, Phoebe hasn't left me alone. She calls constantly, stops by my house almost daily...it's really driving me nuts..."

"Well, try to see things from her perspective, Gerald. She just went through a traumatic experience that almost cost her her life. Maybe she sees you as a source of security since you were the first person she saw after the accident."

"Yeah, well whatever it is, I think I need to sit her down and talk to her. I like Phoebe, but this is really starting to getting on my nerves."

"Oooh...look, Loverboy," taunted Harold in a singsong voice. "It's Phoebe...!"

Sure enough, from a distance, Phoebe could be spotted waving at the group of boys in front of the Vacant Lot. She then blew a kiss, which was allegedly intended for Gerald.

Arnold shrugged sympathetically at his best friend. "Well..no time like the present."

Gerald groaned in exasperation. He then handed Arnold his baseball and purposely made his way toward Phoebe. All the other boys taunted Gerald as he departed, save for Sid, who threw his hat angrily to the ground.

"Oh, yeah, sure - that's just great. Let's just all walk and deal with our girls. We don't need to play baseball today!"

Helga cautioned one quick glance over her shoulder during the commotion. She could swear she caught Arnold with his eyes trained on her as she left, but he quickly looked away.

Later that night, Helga was getting ready for bed just as Lila was getting ready to leave. Even though there was no sign of the strange girl that attacked her several days ago, Helga felt like crashing with the redhead a bit longer. After all, Lila's father worked long hours and was rarely in the house to begin with, and her own family didn't even seem to notice she was gone. Still, Helga used the feeble excuse of the mysterious blonde girl suddenly appearing to eschew friends, family, school, and basically any other part of her normal life.

As she unfurled her sleeping bag, she watched as Lila touched her soul gem to yet another one of the black, needle-like objects. "Why do you leave every night?"

Lila glanced quickly at Helga and turned away to go to the window and threw the object outside. "Because I have to. I don't ask why you still decide to stay here."

"Hey, for your information, I can leave any time that I want!" Helga snapped defensively.

"Of course you can – sorry, I didn't mean it as an insult. I'm glad you're here, honestly. And you can stay for as long as you want."

Helga was caught off-guard by Lila's directly. "Oh. I see. Well, you just keep me in the dark about so many things about this Puella Magi life. I suppose I could press if I really wanted to know what's going on, but honestly...I kinda like the way things are right now. I feel like I'm on an extended sleepover."

Lila smiled faintly. "Good. Then things don't have to change. You let me do my thing, and I'll let you do yours. You might as well use my bed; I don't plan on coming home early tonight."

"Alright then – you're the boss!" and with that Helga emphasized her point by flopping onto Lila's bed. Lilla was halfway out the window when Helga spoke up again.

"Hey, Lila," she said, immediately sitting up. "I know I haven't been the nicest to you since you've come to town. Until recently, I just thought you're were an annoying, goody two-shoes Miss Perfect. But ever since this whole magical girl business I got to know the real you...and you're not half bad."

Lila smirked, bemused. "'Not half-bad?'"

"Alright, alright – I take it back: you're pretty cool," as she spoke she laid back on the bed and snuggled into the pillow, closing her eyes. "Might even go as far to say you're a bit awesome for letting me escape life in here. Don't let it get to your head or anything."

Lila was staring up at the sky when Helga gave her compliment, and was beaming from ear to ear. "Thanks for that, Helga."

When Helga didn't respond, Lila turned to see the girl fast asleep on the bed. Lila took the opportunity to quietly walk over to her and kiss her gently on the forehead.

"I wish you could stay here forever," she whispered in earnest. Then, using her soul gem, she transformed into her costume and disappeared through the window into the night.