Chapter Two: The Beautiful People

Chapter Two

The Beautiful People

For as long as Jade had been listening for it, it happened suddenly. The closet door swung open, and Jade's head shot up to see his father's face staring down at him. Jade's pounding heart instantly doubled in speed. He could feel it racing in his throat. His back pressed forcefully into the wall furthest from the closet door, but Mathew didn't seem to notice as he carelessly pulled Jade out by the arm as if he was a doll, rather than a person.

But as Jade's frightened copper eyes searched desperately about the room, he saw that the visitor was still in the room. And it was the neighbor.

Mr. Nick Jonson stepped slowly up to Jade where his father held him like a convict with both arms twisted behind his back. His presence brought a calming haze over Jade's mind—a strange drowning feeling that might have made Jade content to just pass out right then and there.

"Why, Mathew, don't hold him like that," Nick Jonson said, an almost soft-sounding tone in his voice. "Look how frightened he is..."

But Jade knew better than to trust the sound of someone's voice. He stiffened as Nick Jonson ran his hand gently through Jade's hair. Jade had heard many good things come out of Nick's mouth, but 'the neighbor' was unreliable, and many times before, Nick had vanished when Jade could have used his help most.

"Let him go, Mathew," Nick said softly.

"Why? The damn brat will run, I swear. He's a born runner, and once he's loose, there's no catching him again," Mathew said darkly. He tightened his grip on Jade, and the teenager went rigid as Mathew twisted his arms further.

"But you've terrorized him!" Nick exclaimed. "Locking him up in a closet like that! And just look at how he's bleeding, Mathew. He's really had enough for today." His words sounded certain, but Nick never said anything certainly. His voice always wavered, coming in and out like the passing sound of a siren. Whether it was true uncertainty or simply old age that brought the effect into Nick's manner of speaking, Jade didn't know.

Nick Jonson's fingers carefully lifted Jade's hair up a little, as if to sweep it back out of his face, but he froze as his fingertips touched Jade's ear. "Oh, he got his ears pierced..." he said, his voice suddenly sounding disgusted.

Mathew smirked. "Been that way for a while. All up and down, see it?" he asked, releasing Jade on one side to let his finger pass over the crest of studs embedded up and down Jade's left ear. "The other side has four—think this is six. Cute, huh?" Mathew mocked. "He's really been getting into style." His voice might have betrayed that Jade's piercings were of some importance to him.

"Mathew, see this is the type of stuff you should discipline him for—not all the other stuff. You don't want him to turn out an animal do you? And please let him go—I don't like to see you holding him like that," Nick said slowly.

"Oh, he's already an animal!" Mathew exclaimed. "You know, he bites too! He's an animal, it's too late. Should have just locked him up for good before it all happened, but too late now."

"Maybe you should get him counseling, Mathew," Nick said. He put his hands on Jade's shoulders and gently pulled Jade away from Mathew.

Mathew slowly released with a muttered, "Swear he'll run. You can't hold this bitch."

For a moment Jade felt himself being held by far gentler hands. His mind was suddenly racing wildly. Nick Jonson wouldn't hold him. His father was stepped back two feet. The front door was partly open...