Chapter 21

Four moons after Mudpaw's death, I had seen Turtlepaw so many times. The thought of her sweet scent and beautiful pelt brought a purr to my throat and warmth spreading through my body. Also, Badgerpaw became Badgerstripe.

   I was exited to meet Turtlepaw again. As I clambered out of my nest, and left the apprentice den, Falconflight stopped me.

   "Today is your warrior assessment." He meowed joyfully.

   Almost all thoughts of Turtlepaw left me. I love her, but I HAVE to become a warrior.

   We headed out. The warmth of newleaf felt good after the bitter cold of leafbare.

   "I will watch you. Catch as much prey as you can."

   I nodded and headed off into the trees. Sniffing for the small rodents that were waking up, I barely noticed as a rabbit hopped into the clearing in front of me. I caught it swiftly.

   By sunhigh, I had caught a rabbit, three mice, two voles, and a sparrow. Coming back to the pond in front of the waterfall, I dropped my prey. Falconflight came out shortly after.

   "Good catches!" He praised. "Bloodstar wanted to try something new. Warrior assessments normally only focus on hunting, but we also want to asses your battle skills." He said, putting stones on one side of the clearing, and a stick on the other side. "Your goal is to take these stones to the other side of the clearing, and putting them behind the stick. And I will try to stop you."

   It didn't take long for me to get the stones past the stick. As we headed into camp, Shadowpaw and Gingerpaw were sharing tounges. They had burrs and sticks in their fur, and looked exhausted. I ran over to them.

   "We might be warriors before sundown!" I meowed excitedly.

   My brother and Gingerpaw looked at me with the same excitement in their eyes.

   "It shouldn't be long now.." Gingerpaw said.

   Shadowpaw looked at me and mewed, "Well you might want to clean your fur!" He said as he licked my back.

   I chuckled as we all shared tounges.

   "May all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather under the rock pile for a clan meeting." Bloodstar yowled. Everyone came forward and sat down.

   "I Bloodstar, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on these apprentices. They have trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I make them warriors in their turn. Gingerpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code, to protect and defend your clan, even at the cost of your life?"

   "I do."

   "Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Gingerpaw, from this moment on, you will be known as Gingersnap. StarClan honers your intelligence and bravery, and we welcome you as a full member of WildClan." Bloodstar rested his muzzle on her head, and she licked his shoulder.

   "Shadowpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code, to protect and defend your clan, even at the cost of your life?"

   "I do."

   "Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Shadowpaw, from this moment on, you will be known as Shadowfoot. StarClan honers your strength and courage, and we welcome you as a full member of WildClan." Bloodstar placed his muzzle on my brothers head, and my brother licked his shoulder.

   Then it was my turn.

   "Dragonpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code, to protect and defend your clan, even at the cost of your life?"

   Thoughts of Turtlepaw weighed me down as I mewed, "I do."

   "Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Dragonpaw, from this moment on, you will be known as Dragoncry. StarClan honers your loyalty and honesty, and we welcome you as a full member of WildClan." He rested his muzzle on my head, and I shakily licked his shoulder as the other cats called out, "Gingersnap! Shadowfoot! Dragoncry!"

   The virtues he gave me were far from true, and hit me like claws in my chest. Loyalty and honesty. I was not doing that when I visited Turtlepaw....

   That night we sat vigil at the entrance. I would have loved to curl up in my nest in sleep, but that wasn't an option.

   All night I thought of Turtlepaw, wishing I could have seen her today.