28//Broken Trust

Chapter 28

(Eve's POV)

Our blissful, holiday mindset didn't last as long as we'd liked it to, for when we woke up the next morning to the annoying sound of a rigorous alarm, my stomach twists with the thought of getting up.

"Zayn, your alarm," I groan, pushing him off me since at some point in the night we had gotten into a weird spooning situation.

He grumbles, his morning breath right in my face as he just tries to hold me tighter. I ache to fall into his trap, but I know that his alarm means it's also time for me to get up. So instead of asking him to, I just slither out from under his grip and reach over for the snooze button on his phone.

"Get up," I murmur, crawling out of bed once I've successfully hit the button. "Brush your teeth, your breath stinks."

"Yours does too," he whispers, digging his head into his pillow. "I don't have to work."

"Rich people problems," I tease, walking into the restroom. I don't hear him say anything after, as I'm pretty sure he'll still be asleep when I walk into the room after showering. But as I'm scrubbing away my morning breath, I hear his phone ring. A few seconds later, it stops ringing so I'm sure he's picked it up. When I hop in the shower, I barely can hear him talking, but when he comes in the bathroom I can hear much better.

"No, no Brandon. I swear to you, it's not my baby. I never even seen that woman before, but if it will get her to shut up, then just settle. I don't give a fuck."

I smile and shake my head, how careless he is with money striking me every time.

He's rushing to freshen up at this point, and I'm sure that his sense of reality has kicked in at this point.

"Wait, what? What do you mean she wants to meet with me?"

At this point, I stop fidgeting and open the shower door to hear him better. He notices and looks at me from the window, shaking his head and telling me not to worry. Still, I worry.

"I don't want to even give attention to this woman, Brandon. I could care less what she has to say." He keeps his eyes on me, and I'm unsure if he's saying this because he believes it or because I'm standing right there. "Listen man, I'll be there in an hour, yeah? Don't decide anything until then."

He hangs up soon after and walks over to me while my head is poking out of the shower like some crazy stalker. He smiles, pecking my lips. "I gotta go back to my place to grab a few things. Wanna grab lunch later?"

"Oh, yeah, sure. Is everything okay?"

He smiles, as if there could never possibly be anything wrong in our perfect little world. "It always is, my love."

I don't know whether or not to believe him, but I know that he's not a great liar so if he's not that worried, then maybe I shouldn't be either.

He pokes my nose, "you're gonna be late. Get to work slacker." And with a swift wink, he walks out of the restroom, leaving me and my crazy stalker thoughts alone.

***

I tap my pen against my bottom lip, staring at the blank monitor in front of me. The only thing on my mind for the last few hours has been the thought of the pregnant woman who claims is having a baby with my boyfriend. Boyfriend, I feel, is a weak word to describe the relationship that Zayn and I have. Baby daddy? Lover? My man? I don't know, all I know is that he's my Zayn, and I am not ready for Aiden to have a half sibling.

"Eve?"

Lina walks into my office, breaking me out of my train of thought. I look up at her, completely forgetting that I was at work and I actually had things to do.