8: Broken Heart

Karlie stared up at him in confusion, fear and uncertainty. What did he mean that she may as well be dead?

Jared's face was right close to hers and she could see every detail, it was like everything was in high quality HD. Never before had her vision been so sharp, so precise and clear. It felt so weird, so unfamiliar. She felt like she wasn't inside her own body, everything felt foreign and unknown. In some way, it felt like she was in a trance.

Karlie subconsciously found herself getting lost in his steely grey eyes, she could almost see the different shades of grey swirling in different directions. Her breath was hitched in her throat as he brought his lips closer to hers, but before she could react to the amount of distance between the two a cough sounded through the room. Both their heads snapped siamotainously to see Jessie standing across the room, hiding a growing smile behind a small stack of paper.

"Oh my..." Karlie slapped her hand across her mouth and pushed Jared away from her, the amount of strength that came from the shove shocking her. She stumbled away from him, a sense of guilt washing through her at what almost had happened. She had almost kissed someone else, someone other then her boyfriend. Running towards the door she left the room but halted when she could hear their voices from where she was.

"So that's her? She is quite the being I must say, I'm surprised you haven't lost control and marked her yet." Jessie's voice could be heard clearly, even though Karlie was fifteen feet away form the door she had just came out of. It was even shut.

"Don't interrupt me again, Jess. I am your future Alpha, I suggest you start treating me with a little more respect," Jared growled.

"Future, which means you aren't one yet so that means I can keep terrorizing you until that time comes. You are also my brother so it's a natural reaction for me be annoying." Another growl could be heard from Karlie's spot. It made shivers run through her spin. "And I would be careful with her, I know you changed her. That's not a problem, it's just that the process looks like it's happening more quickly then it should be."

"I've noticed, I will explain things to her all in good time. I suggest that you start treating her with respect though, seeing as you have a habit of antagonizing everyone you meet." Karlie felt her knees weaken once again.

Alpha? What are they talking about? Jared changed who...me? What does this all mean? And how could I hear them at the distance I'm at?

Karlie ran down the hallway, shaking her head violently at the thoughts that were swirling through her head. It all didn't make sense, none of what they said. She felt utterly stupid, mostly because she was quite intelligent so most things she understood clearly.

The thought of finding Teah and Carlos crossed her mind but she didn't bother and instead she found her scooter and road away from the high school.

~•~

Guilt ate away inside Karlie as she quickly paced back and forth in her bedroom. She would never do something like that, she loved Jack. Nothing could ever separate them, not even miles of ocean water and definitely not another attractive boy.

Karlie jumped back at the thought of Jared being attractive and ended up hitting her head on a glass shelf. Now her head throbbed rhythmically with her shoulder and a groan escaped her mouth as she slid slowly down the wall.

"Karlie? Are you home?" That voice was familiar, but it was rarely heard. All of the pain washed away as Karlie sprung up from her spot and raced out the bedroom door. At the bottom of the staircase was her father, standing in his usual attire. The only thing different was that his eyebrows were creased with worry. She only stood there in shock and before she knew it, her father was in front of her, staring her down. "I got a call from your school, they said you passed out."