Chapter 1: Dance, Dance, Dance, Dance

Chapter 1

*3 Years prior*

I flicked my hair out of my face. My heart was racing, my palms sweaty. I looked down at my feet, the pink nail polish on my toes chipped from endless hours of hard work in the small decrepit studio.

"Again!"

Tears welled up in my eyes, I looked at myself in the body length mirror that stood against the brick wall. My brown hair was dull and laden with sweat and dust, my body a bag of bones.

"Excuse me? Are you going to stand and stare at yourself all day you whore?"

A couple months ago I would have cringed at a remark like that, but now I just felt numb. I got into starting position and the music began to play. A song that was once my favourite now sounded like the screeching of a banshee. My body ached with every movement but I knew I had to carry on if I wanted the night to blow over smoothly.

34.

That's how many times he made me run the routine. 34 times... He would have made me do it more but I blacked out, my body caving from the lack of sleep and food.

*****

There were three soft knocks on the door. I groaned before climbing out of bed and slipping on I jacket.

"Good morning Miss, can I come in?"

"Yes Annie, please do."

The plump old lady walked in with a bowl in her hand. Bath time. I would get a bowl and a sponge and that was my only way to clean myself. Half the time the water was either dirty or bloody and I couldn't get my whole body clean. Annie gave me a look of sympathy when she saw how cut open my feet were.

"Would you like some assistance Madeline?"

I nodded and the old woman came over and helped me undress. She rinsed out the sponge and began to clean my back. I cringed every time she traced the sponge over the bruises that stretched across my back. Once she was done I stood up and Annie picked up the bowl.

"MADELINE!"

I cringed, picked up my gym shorts and tank top I had discarded on the floor to "bath" and pulled them on. I walked to the studio, wincing with every step.

Mr Avery stood in the middle of the room, arms folded and frowning sternly. He motioned for me to step forward and placed his hand on my shoulder. I looked up at him just as his hand made contact with my cheek. I closed my eyes but didn't wince, I was used to being slapped by him.

"Maddie Darling, you're late. I'm sorry for slapping you, but you know I don't tolerate tardiness. Let's start"

I took notice of the pistol sticking out inside his jacket. He walked over to his desk, which was completely bare, and signalled for the music to begin. I took my starting position.

"I was screaming into canyon

At the moment of my death

The echo I created

Outlasted my last breath"

I began to move my body, arms graceful and legs heavy. The music making my aching body move. The movements were so familiar that I didn't even have to think about it. During the fourth run of the routine, I saw him bite his lip and stand up. He marched up to me and pulled my body against his, his left hand grabbing my butt cheek. He was just about to say something when somebody called out to him.

"That's enough for today. Go to your room."

He stormed out of the room and I released the breath I had been holding. I walked out of the studio and began creeping up the stairs to my room. I needed to get away, I needed to break free from this hell. But how? There were no windows in the building as far as I knew, and the only door leading outside was always guarded. Tomorrow was my twenty first birthday, and marked that she had been trapped in this house for a year.

As I sat on my bed staring at my bruised legs and bloody toes, tears streamed down my cheeks. I knew I couldn't handle this any longer.

----------------------------

Thanks for reading!

Please like and comment to let me know what you think :)