Chapter 3: Home Sweet Home

After giving my statement to Agent Taylor, the female one, I walked out to find my best friend waiting with my dad. As soon as she saw me she ran up to me and hugged me.

"As soon as I hear that they found you I jumped into my car and drove straight here! Are you okay?"

I giggled, "Hey Cait, yes I'm fine."

My dad gave me a worried look. Caitlin took a pair of sunglasses and a black leather jacket out of her backpack.

"Put these on Hun."

I smiled and listened to my best friend's instruction. Caitlin and I had been best friends since the beginning of the 8th grade. We were in the same homeroom, and we sat next to each other by chance. After a couple minutes of chatting we realized that we were like the exact same person and automatically became best friends.

I climbed into my father's Bentley and Caitlin said she would meet us back at my place.

*****

Once we arrived back at my house my dad began making dinner and Caitlin was on a mission to clean me up. She shoved me into the shower with strict instructions to wash my hair and scrub every inch of my body. I stood in the shower for 30 minutes just enjoying the feel of the water hitting my body, something I hadn't been able to feel for over a year.

"Maddie? Are you okay in there?"

I didn't have the strength to reply, it was all hitting me now, I felt numb. I heard the door burst open and shoes being discarded onto the tiled floor. The shower door was pulled open and Caitlin climbed in. She twisted me around to face her, "It's gonna be okay Mads, not now but eventually it will be. Turn around I will help you with your hair"

I turned around, the water splashing on my face. I could feel Caitlin's hand rubbing shampoo in my knotty long brown hair. After Caitlin was done with my hair she helped me out of the shower, wrapped a towel around me and sat me down on the closed toilet lid. Caitlin grabbed a towel and dried off her hair.

"Cameron called, he heard you were back and wanted to know if he could come see you?"

I just stared at her. Did I want to see him? Of course. Could I see him now; after the year I had been through? Definitely not.

I shook my head and Caitlin knew that now wasn't the time.

"Okay. Let's get you dressed in something warm."

We walked into my room. Everything was as it was year ago when I went missing. The outfit I prepared for my date with Cameron the night I went missing was still hanging on my cupboard door and the mail I put on my dresser that morning was still there, unopened. I sat down on my bed and sighed. Caitlin went to my cupboard and pulled out a pair of sweats and a loose t-shirt.

"Is this fine?"

I nodded and put the outfit on. I went and sat on the chair in front of my dresser and Caitlin proceeded to brush out my hair.

"Can I straighten it for you?"

I nodded again. Caitlin took out my hair dryer and began to dry off my hair. Once it was dry she started taking small pieces at a time and straightening them until all my hair was hanging straight down my back.

"GIRLS COME GET DINNER!" My dad called from the kitchen downstairs.

"Where is Penny?" I asked, my voice croaking.

"She's in her room."

I got up and walked straight to my younger sister's room. She was sitting on her bed playing with a Barbie. I sat down in front of her. I knew she wouldn't know what was going on so I tried to keep my cool. Caitlin was standing in the doorway, listening cautiously.

"Hello Pen."

"Maddie! I missed you."

With that she launched herself into my arms. I fought the urge to cry. I couldn't upset her.

"I know, I missed you too my baby. I'm sorry I was gone so long. Let's go get dinner, Dad is waiting."

*****

After dinner Caitlin and I sat on my bed. Neither of us said anything, we just sat in a comfortable silence. After a while I decided to speak up, "What did Cameron say?"

I had heard her speaking to him while I was in the bathroom after dinner. She told him I needed time because I had been through a lot.

"He was upset, but understanding. He said he would call next week. Oh, and he said happy birthday."

Oh yes, it was my birthday, I had forgotten. Well I hadn't forgotten and rather just chose to ignore the fact that today was the 21st anniversary of my birth.

"Okay. Can we go to bed?" Caitlin would definitely be sleeping over, she often did.

"Yes of course."

We both climbed into my queen sized bed and switched off the lights. I tossed and turned, I couldn't fall asleep. I was exhausted but my mind wouldn't stop thinking about that house. I glanced at the clock on my side table, 2:46am. Great.

I climbed out of bed and made my way to the living room, I then unlocked the door and stepped outside into the backyard. I sat on the grass and looked up at the stars.

"Trouble sleeping?" My father asked and sat down next to me, "I haven't been able to sleep since you went missing. I mean how could a parent sleep when they don't know where in the world their child is."

I rested my head on his shoulder, "I haven't been outside in a year. The grass feels so good against my skin."

----------------

hope you enjoyed it!

Please like and comment :)