Chapter 5 : Unfinished Business

At the sight of Ines, Mason nearly froze in his steps. He managed to walk into the lift after only a slight pause in his stride.

He was surprised to see her, but he didn't show it. Years of masking his feelings made it easy. She, however, did not. She stared at him, her mouth agape; she looked even more shocked than he was.

It took him a good deal of self-control to not stare back.

She was in a dark violet dress that made her smooth, tanned skin glow. It showed off her luscious shoulders and a good deal of her back. Her straight blonde hair hung loose over her shoulders, soft and enticing. But it was her eyeglasses that made him almost trip when he saw her. It made her eyes look large and luminous. And sexy.

Dear Lord, he'd always had a weakness for women in glasses.

She finally stopped staring, but she didn't say a word. He spent the rest of the ride watching her from the corner of his eye. She had a habit of clutching her purse tightly, tapping her thumbs against the leather. And pushing her glasses up her nose with her index finger.

Was she here on a date? He didn't know that escorts wore eyeglasses when meeting clients. Of course it may be that the client was partial to the librarian types.

The image of Ines in a tight skirt and half-buttoned blouse half-lying on a library desk flashed in his head. She held a book against her chest, crooking a finger at him.

The sudden tightening in his trousers brought him back to reality. Lord, was there any way he could be within one meter of this woman without getting an erection?

And why wasn't she saying anything? It was only yesterday that she was throwing herself at him, and now she was acting as though he wasn't there.

"I see you're working tonight," he said. It was rather petty, he knew, but he wanted to get her attention.

She looked like she was about to jump out of her skin.

"Uh, yes," she said, still not looking at him.

The lift doors opened. Ines didn't make a move to leave.

Neither did he.

"After you," he said.

She turned slightly toward him and nodded before darting out of the lift. He followed her out into the foyer of Il Chiaro, keeping a respectful distance. But his eyes were on her pert backside. The unconscious sway of her hips hypnotized him, but he couldn't make himself look away. Not even with his erection alarmingly at half-mast.

He was close enough to hear her speak to the receptionist. "The reservation is under John Bellamy," she said to the stern-looking Italian woman in a dark suit. "Is he here?"

"Yes. Tony will take you to your table," said the receptionist. She gestured to a lanky waiter in a white shirt and vest.

"Thank you." She smiled at Tony and followed him.

The receptionist smiled upon seeing Mason. "Signor Kilborne," she said. "Welcome to Il Chiaro. The young lady has been waiting for you."

"Good," he said. "Grazie."

She beamed. "Prego. Non c'è problema. Here," she said, leading the way. "Let me take you to your table."

Soft classical music was playing in the open air restaurant. As they made their way to his table, he turned and saw Ines. A distinguished elderly gentleman was holding one of her hands in his. They were standing by a table, smiling as they talked.

Typical, Mason thought, trying to ignore the feeling of disappointment at his suspicions being confirmed. An actual John. The man was too old and decrepit to be a real boyfriend.