Chapter 6 : How to Lose A Girl in One Date

While in the ladies' room, Ines checked her phone. There were no messages from Piper. Sighing, Ines dialed her boss's number. It went directly to voice mail.

"Piper, hi," she said. "Just wanted to check if you were still coming. John says he can reschedule if you can't make it."

Somehow she knew Piper wouldn't be coming tonight. But Ines did what she'd been asked, there was nothing more she could do. Thankfully, John was pleasant company. In the course of her work, she'd had to sit through countless meetings with people who were less than amicable.

She touched up her make-up. Seeing Kilborne tonight was an unexpected surprise, and after taking one look at his date, she'd become self-conscious of her own appearance. It was silly, she knew. No amount of make-up could put her in the same league as the knock-out sitting across him at the table. She was probably some actress or something: perfect hair, amazing skin, pretty face. And Ines was... well, she was pleasant enough to look at, she supposed.

But when Kilborne looked at her, she wished she could be more than that. His very presence in the room made her pulse race, and her skin flush. Disturbingly handsome. Those were the words that came to mind whenever she saw his face. If ever anyone ever deserved that description, it had to be him.

Earlier, she could feel his eyes on her as she walked away from the elevator. It made it hard for her to even just breathe. It made her fully aware of every step she made, every movement, every word she spoke to the receptionist. It made her wish she'd had time to put on contacts before leaving the house. Her eyeglasses didn't exactly add anything to her looks.

Now it would be disconcerting knowing he was just a few tables away while she was having dinner. Would he glance her way? He had absolutely no reason to give her any of his attention, especially when he had a bombshell right in front of him.

What if he did? Just once?

You want him to look at you.

She did. She could admit as much, at least to herself.

After a moment of indecision, she took out her lipstick and applied it to her lips a second time. She smiled at her reflection then laughed at how ridiculous she was behaving.

There, she thought, wrinkling her noise as she blotted her lips with some tissue. That's the best I can do. Mr. Kilborne, prepared to be underwhelmed.

That she was thinking of him could have been the reason she was completely unnerved when she saw him standing out in the hallway when she stepped out of the ladies' room.

It was as though her thoughts had conjured him out of thin air.

"Uhm... " she said, trying to figure out what to say. Of course he was probably coming out of the bathroom too. Why else would he be there? She cleared her throat. "Mr. Kilborne," she said, nodding. What was there to say, anyway?

He moved to block her path as she started to walk away.

"Ms. Andrada," he said. "You and I have unfinished business. If you'll be so kind as to get rid of your date—"

Dear God, his English accent sent a burst of heat down her core. She could barely register what he was saying.

"W-w-what?" On instinct, she took a step backwards. Something told her it was dangerous to be so close to this man. She breathed in the spicy, masculine scent of his cologne and her stomach did a few hundred flip-flops.

He closed the small space between them, sending her pulse racing. She took another step back and found herself flat against the wall. Her eyes grew wide in surprise. What was he doing?