Chapter I

"I'm confident, I'm beautiful, I'm kind." I say to myself again. My posture slumped, and my outfit baggy. It isn't quite that tight clothes don't look good on me, or so I'm told. It's that I feel as though I'll never be good enough for the people surrounding me. Every girl at our small town high school looks the same, basic. Even the word itself is basic. They all dress the same, with long pretty hair, added with an overly enthusiastic ego. They'll walk by you in the hall in little groups, flip their hair back, and "cute giggle." Except their "cute giggle" is just a nauseating "I'm trying too hard." But this isn't about them, they live a routine life in a simple world. And sometimes that's how I fear people see me, as just the average basic teenage girl that nauseatingly tries too hard.
"You've been staring at the reflection for I've minutes, are you ready to go?" Caroline blurts in my doorway. I was close to back talking, but one look at her sad composure said it all. Even tough she's a year older than me and we're related, she's a mess. But who am I to talk. We look the same: Skinny, average height, medium length brown hair, and green eyes. Simple and clean cut.
"So now you're just going to stare at me? What's with you? You're so spacey today."
"I'm sorry Caroline, it's just one of those days where I feel like laying in bed and staring at the roof."
"Eye raping the roof will not cure depression," she says full of sarcasm. A small smile appeared on my face but disappeared shortly after.
"Ich habe eine Idee." She says. We randomly switch to German often, it works easier for us. Last time Caroline had an idea we set the oven on fire burning down half the kitchen. we were making a simple box of brownies.
"Is the idea going to put us in an ambulance, cop car, or fire truck?" I ask amused.
"No. Maybe. No." One maybe is good enough for me? But I was kind of hoping for a yes in there.
"Alright, but what is it?" I ask just to ask, because as long as it's fun I'll go with it.
"I can't let you know till it's done, do you have any cash?" She's acting like we're going to kill someone. Who carries cash?
"There's money on my card."
"Cards are traceable, we need to make a stop at the bank." She makes her way to the keys on my dresser, we share a black 2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF.
On the way to the front door my stomach churns, making me realize I haven't eaten since early last night.
"Do you mind if I go grab something to eat before we go?" I asked.
"We'll stop and get food on the way." I hesitated, I wasn't much of a fast food breakfast eater, every time we'd get food I'd just I've it to the first person that crossed my mind that day. I wasn't going to get my way, so it looked like I'd have a long way to go before lunch.
"You coming?" She asked. I want food.
"Yeah, okay let's go."
The air outside is crisp and passing slight breezes. Late fall early winter. I feel as though the cold is a numbing for the soul, I could only hope one day it would reach my heart.
"Get in the vehicle, you're stuck in space and this isn't a rocket." Ah gotta love Caroline, always full of sarcasm and humor. Maybe what I need is another adventure, there's nothing comparable to the adrenaline from living. We may not be the best at living ourselves, but if there's one thing Caroline and I can teach to "smart" careful people, it's how to live. And through living how to find the rest.
She reverses out of the driveway barely missing our trash cans.
"Sorry love, I almost hit your ex," she says giggling. We make out way down the road in silence, typically on a normal school day this wouldn't get awkward, but we're in this car a lot longer then usual.
"What do you want?" She asks, I'm confused, I wasn't doing anything involving her, in fact I was even looking the opposite direction.
"What do you want from McDonald's?" She rolls her eyes at me. It took a moment for the building infront of us to register in my mind.
"Oh."
"Oh, yeah. Now please hurry we're burning daylight," she pushes, patience is a virtue and for you my dear have none.
"Chocolate milkshake," I respond aggravated.
"Seriously? You complain about being hungry, yet you only want a drink."
"I don't eat their food, if I get it I give it away." I snap back. She's orders acting like a two year old that got their favorite toy taken away.
"Here's your liquid? I hope it'll suffice for a solid," she says pushing my milkshake toward me. I put the milkshake in between my legs and pull off the lid, taking the very in my fingers. Disgusting. I open the window and throw it out,
"I would've eaten that," she glares at me.
"You don't need anymore food, even your attitude is full," I snarl at her. We'd both kidding of course but I still feel guilty.
"One more comment and I'll turn this car around." She crumpled her hash brown and throws it at me playfully.
"You wouldn't, were already on the highway," I say laughing. She slams on her breaks, causing the chain of people behind us to also.
"What was that?" She looks over smiling like an insane person.
"Just go Carols, they're going to get mad." We're known for making a scene everywhere we go.
She speeds off causing me to lurch forward, my seatbelt locking.
"Do it again! Do it again!" I chant. My heart beat taking off as fast as the car did I press the sunroof button and it slides open, our hair going wild.
"It's cold what are you doing?" She asks looking at me as if I was crazy, which I am. I take off my sweatshirt, leaving me in a black lace bra and sweatpants.
"You're insane," she says.
"Control me if you can." I unlatch my seatbelt, slipping off my shoes, and stand up on the seat. My head and torso now in the wind. It's still cold and I'm being to feel numb, I throw my arms back taking it all in, my heart still racing. Closing my eyes I focus on the sounds around me, arms still stretched.
"Katherine!" Caroline screams out.
As I open my eyes from my fantasy world it immediately goes dark. I cannot see but it feels as though I am flying. I collide with the asphalt hard and slowly shift my eyes open,
"Shìt!" She screams getting out of the car. "I'm so sorry Kat I tried so hard." The car was still intact with a well sized dent in the rear.
"I flew," I said gazing at the sky.
"What?" She Saals confused and still in
shock.
"I flew, and we lived." I began to laugh.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wc: 1210
More Good stories :
whatijustwanttoread
uncategorized-
Band__geek12
ariaterricola