Chapter 4 | Late Night Calls

I didn't want to leave New York, but I was nowhere near prepared to stay for another weekend

Monica and I took a taxi to LaGuardia Airport at noon after sleeping in for most of the morning, too tired from the night before. 

The time that we flew out made a huge difference. If I left too early, my parents would question why I was so eager to leave New York. If I left too late, my parents would question their trust in me keeping my word. Either way - my parents would question me. 

I couldn't explain to them about how Leonardo and I met, how the Pussy Posse interrupted us, and being out late without my bodyguard - or their permission for that matter. 

I just wanted a night without someone hovering over me, telling me how to live my life, what to say, or even what to do. Leonardo offered me that. 

Last night, after a somber goodbye and a few snuck in pecks here and there, Monica and I had to depart from the boys.  Leonardo left his pager number and asked me to call him, so of course I did once I got home. 

<><><><><><><><><><>

My parents were in the kitchen when I walked in. Mama was reheating leftover chicken fried steak and Daddy was washing out his beer glass in the sink. They both turned and smiled at me when I greeted them.

"Hi baby. How was your trip?", Mama genuinely wanted to know. She turned the stove's knob lower and had the gravy at a steady simmer. 

"Good.", was all I replied with. I honestly didn't know what to say. 

I know I said I'd be with Will and Jada, but the truth is: they left and I ran off with a guy I barely met. We french kissed until Dick's ball dropped  - and the other half of the night was spent shopping with your credit cards and partying with Monica. 

Of course, my square parents wouldn't have a problem with the latter. Even though I make my own money, they still let me swipe their cards as many times as I want. Which Ray J hates. Mama and Daddy trust me more than they trust my brother. It might have something to do with him cutting class to smoke with his crew, or the fact that if we leave him home alone for more than an hour we can expect something to be broken, missing, or stolen by that same crew. 

My parents didn't notice me being so short with them and went back to their busywork. They could be so oblivious at times. Luckily for me, I used that opportunity to slip out of sight and up the spiral staircase to the privacy of my bedroom. The first thing I grabbed was the telephone on my night stand. 

<><><><><><><><>

Leonardo and I were nearing the two hour mark of our conversation and I had to admit that I was impressed at how articulate he was. Most actors I've met, especially ones who started as children, weren't well versed like he was. They had opinions, but they weren't their own and they never really sounded genuine. Leonardo, on the other hand, was funny, charming, intellectual and kind of crazy. I could actually stand to bear conversing with him for hours on end, amusing as he was.