Chapter 5 | The Peak of Curiosity

8:31 pm

8:31 pm.

Monica and I walked around my room, picking up the discarded clothes from my floor, the closet, and even in the bathroom. We were trying on outfits all afternoon and debating on what to wear for the beach tonight with Leonardo and Tobey. 

It was rather warm for a night in January, but then again it's Malibu, California. So, I wanted to wear some shorts and a tank top - but Monica thought we should go out in some tight jeans and a snug t-shirt. 

Three hours later, we settled on wearing our bikinis under flared mini skirts. 

I'd say the guys were happy with our choice by the looks on their faces. Either that, or they were holding the World's Longest Drooling Contest. 

"Bye Mama! Bye Daddy! I love you!", I shouted from the front door, pulling my purse over my shoulder. I caught the sound of a "Love you too! Be safe, and stay warm.", before locking the door behind Monica and scampering out to the car. 

Leonardo and Tobey were waiting by the side of the SUV, their arms folded over their defined chests. They were both wearing rolled up shorts, button-downs and baseball caps. Leo's cap was spun backwards, revealing strands of blonde splayed across his forehead. 

"Hey", Leonardo greeted Mon and I. It was the first time I saw him in three weeks. He pulled me by my waist and hugged me in a warm embrace, squeezing me in his hold. "I missed you", he murmured against the crest of my ear. I couldn't hold in the giggle from the sensation of his lips tickling me. "I missed you too.", I finished. 

Leo moved onto hugging Monica next and that left me to greet Tobey - who seemed more relaxed and easygoing than when we first met. "Brandy, how's it going?", Tobey smiled and pulled me in for a friendly hug. He smelled like chestnut and honey. "Real good. I'm excited for  our outgoing tonight.", I replied with a sincere smile and climbed into the back seat with Monica.

"Yeah, it's 'bout to be dope!", Monica reapplied her lipstick and frowned at Tobey. "My schedule is so packed that I never get to do anything fun anymore." 

I smacked my lips at her comment and laughed, "Girl, we were just in New York for New Years."

"Yeah, but that was like three weeks ago! That's too long for me.", Mon rolled down her window and screamed to passerbys on the sidewalk, "Some people NEED A LIFE TOO!"

"Get back in this car and behave..", I shook my head and rolled down my own window, enjoying the warm breeze on my face. 

Everyone in the car laughed their own version of a chuckle, including Leonardo, who gave me a quick glance before switching lanes and driving onto the freeway. 

<><><><><><><><><><><>

It was nearing nine and the sky was a blanket of stark deep blue, dotted with twinkling white stars that seemed to glisten in the moonlight.  I left my purse in the car and our group of four trudged our way though the sand to walk by the ocean. We had settled into a steady rhythm of strolling alongside the shore line, eventually breaking up into groups of two, one following after the other.