Chapter 6

Thank you all for your support. It means so much to me. Hope you enjoy the chapter and I will have another one for you next Friday. Have a great weekend. :)

(Emma)

On the way home from lunch at Alan and Kay's, I insisted on stopping by the grocery store. Ben refused until I told him it was so I could buy the ingredients I needed to make Peter a cake.

The grocery store was crowded, but that was no surprise considering it was a Sunday afternoon. Ignoring Ben, who was muttering under his breath, I grabbed a shopping cart and made my way to the baking aisle.

Once I reached the aisle, I took a list of ingredients out of my purse and glanced over it. Semisweet chocolate morsels was the first item. I scanned the shelves. Locating the bags of morsels, I snatched up one and tossed it in the cart.

"Mr. and Mrs. Wellston," I heard over the hum of the crowd.

I looked up from my list and saw Ben's assistant, Anita, and a man I had never seen before coming up the aisle. She was wearing a pair of faded jeans and a pink blouse that was two sizes too big. Her hair was in a messy ponytail.

"You can call me Emma, Anita." I smiled at her. "How are you?"

She beamed. "I'm doing well. Thanks for asking." She nodded at Ben. "Hello, sir."

"Anita," he said politely.

"I want you both to meet my boyfriend," she said, gazing adoringly at the man beside her.

"She has a boyfriend?" Ben whispered in my ear.

"Why do you sound so shocked?" I whispered back. "I think she's a lovely person."

"She's annoying," he muttered.

"You're no picnic so keep your comments to yourself." I smiled and offered Anita's boyfriend my hand. "Emma Wellston."

"Josh Manning." He took my hand, shaking it gently. "It's nice to meet you, Mrs. Wellston."

"Please, it's Emma," I corrected him. "And it's nice to meet you."

"Call me Josh." He let go of my hand, turned to Ben, and extended his hand. "Mr. Wellston, nice to finally meet you. Annie has told me a lot about you."

"Nothing good I'm sure," Ben uttered dryly.

"Not true, sir," Anita was quick to say. "I had good things to say."

Josh looked into Ben's eyes. "But then she has something nice to say about everyone, even if they don't deserve it. She doesn't like to speak ill of people."

I cleared my throat. "How long have you two been a couple?" I inquired, quickly changing the topic.

"Three months," Anita answered. "Would you believe we met in the produce section? Cliché, I know. My eyes met his over a crate of oranges and I was gone."

"Don't make me gag," Ben mumbled.

"I asked for her number before we went our separate ways." Josh winked at her. "I couldn't let her get away."

"Isn't he sweet?" Anita peered at her watch. "We better finish up our shopping and get out of here, babe. We don't want to be late meeting your mom."