Chapter 10

I don't really know what to think of this chapter. It wasn't easy for me to write. The truth is I hadn't planned for this chapter to turn out the way it did, but sometimes, for a writer, a story takes over and you have to let it lead you where it wants to go. Anyway, thank you all for supporting me. I hope you find this chapter to your liking. :)

(Ben)

For Emma's benefit I reached over and pulled the window shade down, blocking out the sight of the ground giving away to the sky. Takeoff seemed to bother her more than landing. I glanced at her, sitting across from me.

Her eyes closed, her hands were gripping the armrests of her seat. I lowered my gaze to her chest and saw it wasn't rising and falling. She was holding her breath. I held back a sigh and shook my head.

"Emma, stop holding your breath," I told her.

She opened her eyes.

"Breathe," I said. "You're going to be fine."

She inhaled deeply and exhaled slowly. "I'm not flying again for a long time. Do you hear me?"

I nodded. "Loud and clear."

Emma unclenched her hands from the armrests, running a trembling hand across her forehead. She tightened her seat belt and folded her hands on her lap. "When we land are you going to the office or home?"

"Office," I answered. "I called for two cars. I figured you'd want to pick up Henry and go home."

"I do." She let out a sigh of relief as the plane leveled out. "That's better."

Once the seat belt sign went out, I removed my seat belt and grabbed my suit coat from the seat next to mine. I dug my cell phone out of the inside pocket and turned it on, checking to see if I had any messages.

Emma retrieved her phone from her bag. No sooner had she turned it on it started ringing. She answered it. "Hello?" She paused for a second. "Dean, it's good to hear from you. How are you?" Another pause. "Good. I'm looking forward to the wedding. I bet Abby is getting anxious."

I listened to her side of the conversation with a frown on my face. Who the hell was Dean?, and why was he calling Emma? I waited impatiently for her to wrap up the call. The minute she ended the call I demanded to know who Dean was.

"He's a friend from college," she replied.

"I don't believe I've met him," I said. "How long has it been since you last saw him?"

"Four months ago, I think." Emma put her phone away. "He was in town on business so we got together for dinner at the Baldwin."

My stomach clenching, I shifted slightly. So his name was Dean, the man she cheated on me with. In that moment I wondered if I should end it now, my plan of making her suffer. She had given me the perfect opportunity to do it. I studied her, trying to make a decision.

"Why are you looking at me that way?" she inquired, arching an eyebrow.

"I'm trying to decide something." I drummed my fingers on the armrest of my chair. "My decision will have a big impact on certain lives."

"Just go with what your gut is telling you," Emma said.

"Alright." I ceased drumming my fingers and sat up straighter. "I dropped by the hotel that night to meet your friend. Now that I know his name is Dean I'll call him that. I finished work early and thought I would join you and Dean for dinner. When I got there I ran into an old friend of mine. We hadn't seen each other in sometime so we found a quiet corner to catch up."