Chapter 3: Voices

Pippin's Point of View:

I feel almost more afraid of my companions than I do of the danger that could befall us on this quest. None of them seem to even care that Frodo and Sam are dead. They all wear neutral expressions as if nothing is bothering them at all. Though, perhaps that is only my grief speaking.

We have been traveling along for almost three days now, and not once have we stopped to rest. My feet have begun to hurt, but I do not want to be the one to suggest stopping first; I do not wish to be the one slowing everyone down.

With little to entertain myself as we move steadily onward, my mood begins to slip lower into misery and unwanted thoughts.

Memories of times with Frodo and Sam come to the forefront of my mind: Merry and I having a wonderful time with them doing menial things. I will miss that dearly. The nights at the pub trying to convince Sam to ask Rosie for a dance, the jokes, the laughter, and even just their presence.

"Do not let your heart dwell on such sad things just yet, young Hobbit. Your journey will not be in vain."

I stop moving completely, looking around wildly for the source of the unfamiliar voice. I only become more confused when I remember none of my thoughts had been out loud, so whoever it was must have been speaking in my head.

"What is wrong, Pippin?" Aragorn asks with concern, seeing as I had fallen behind the others.

Everyone stops and turns back to look at me, but from Gandalf's knowing expression I presume he already is aware of why I have halted.

"What did she say to you, Master Hobbit?" Gandalf asks, a look of happiness in his eye.

I gasp. "That was Fayn? How did she get in my head?" I ask in awe.

"Alas, I know not how her abilities work, but this is very good news for us, very good indeed. She knows we are coming to seek her counsel, and will most likely be willing to meet with us."

We continue onward, our pace quicker now with the lightness of hope that seems closer within reach than before.

"I don't know if you can hear me, or if I am just talking to myself now. Lady Fayn, if you could help us save our world, I.."

My thoughts trail off, because what could I have to offer one so ancient and powerful?

"Fear not little one. I will do what I can to help."

A small shock goes through Pippin again at gaining another response from the mysterious Fayn. A musical giggling fills his mind, sounding like the pealing of distant bells.

"I am no more mysterious than you, Master Hobbit. I am most interested in meeting you and your companions; what strange company you all are."

"Gandalf told us he wanted to show you the different races are working together. Well, at least more than they used to be." I reply immediately, almost used to the strangeness of speaking to someone through my mind.

"Hm, clever wizard." It is almost as if I can see a smile curve at her lips by the way she speaks those three words. "I look forward to meeting you, Master Hobbit. What is it that they call you?"

"Peregrin Took, but most everyone calls me Pippin." I respond brightly, earning another tinkling laugh from Fayn.

"Farewell for now, Pippin. We shall see eachother soon."

Gandalf's Point of View:

"What has happened, Mithrandir?"

A long-missed voice makes itself known in my mind.

"Ah Miss Fayn. How good it is to hear from you once again, my old friend."

"The years have changed you Gandalf; you look old." Her delicate laugh fills the dark crevices of my mind, bringing a light smile to my face as I lead the Fellowship on.

"And I am sure you have not aged a day, my dear. Tell me, how have you fared?"

"My friend, these years have not been kind to me. War has raged in many places under my protection, and many battles have yet to be own against evil. I had hoped Middle Earth would not suffer this same fate, but alas, it was in vain.

Enough of sad times though. Tell me, Mithrandir, are Elrond and Galadriel well? And what of Ratagast and Saruman?" she asks curiously.

"Galadriel is well, as is Elrond. When you return to Middle Earth, I am certain they will wish to see you before you must leave us again.

I have not seen Ratagast for some time, though I believe he is still well. The animals tell me no different. As for Saruman, he is dead. The evil was too tempting."

Fayn's voice goes silent for a time, and I wonder if she has left altogether for a moment. She soon speaks again though, her voice more subdued than it had been prior. "I always suspected as such; he enjoyed the power he already possessed too much for his own good. Tell me, does that make you head of the wizard council?" she asks, a note of happiness finding its way back into her voice.

"That I have. Tell me, Lady Fayn, will you be there to greet us upon our arrival in three days' time?"

"I truly hope so, Mithrandir. I have business to attend to beforehand, but I am looking forward to meeting this odd company you keep. So strange to see these races working together without quarrel."

"It seems you have already spoken with one of my company, Lady Fayn." 

"Yes, and what a kind heart he is, though I feel grief in him from two's passing that was very recent."

My thoughts travel to Frodo and Sam, and Fayn is able to immediately pick put the memory. Great sorrow fills her words as she speaks again. "Ah, two young hobbits. What they did was very brave, though I would expect no less from hobbits; their courage has always been something to be admired."

"That they are." I respond, many memories playing through my mind that now seem bittersweet.

"I will leave you now to your own thoughts, Gandalf, but I will be there to meet you in two days' time at the edge of the sea."

"Until then," I bid her, and I feel her presence leave my mind.