Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter 5

5

Elle

I couldn't really sleep the night before Jude's departure. It was a combination of things; I wanted to spend every waking second possible with him, but I also couldn't stop the words that Jude had spoken from repeating over and over in my head. It didn't really work that way with my father.

But I kept reminding myself that when his dad left, it was on bad terms. Really bad. Like, I'll probably never be able to forgive you bad. Our time apart wasn't going to be the result of infidelity or anger or deceit or a break up. He was just going to work.

I'd known Jude for less than a year, but a life without him would be one that was utterly incomplete. This would be good for us. This would strengthen us. This would bring us closer together in the end. We each just had to trust in what we had.

That night, I laid my body as close to Jude as possible. I loved feeling the warmth of his skin spread across my own. I soaked in everything about him. His scent, the feeling of his facial hair against my cheek, the deep, dark blue hue of his eyes. Every little detail was painstakingly drawn in my memory. Sure, I could just look at one of the hundreds of pictures I have of him on my phone, or, dare I say it, I could search his name online and gaze upon thousands of them, but none of them would compare to the real thing; pictures just don't do him justice.

I tried to feign sleep so Jude would be able to get some rest, but he was on to me.

His voice came out as a whisper, presumably just in case. "You awake?"

"Duh."

I could see the smile on his face without having to open my eyes.

"What're you thinking about?" He ceased speaking in a whisper, but he kept his voice low.

"You."

"Same."

I felt his chest rise and fall with a heavy sigh.

"I don't want you to think I doubt us, and I sure as hell don't want you to doubt my feelings for you. What came out about my dad was just some messed up thought I had lurking in the depths of my mind." His arms pulled me in a little closer.

"When your dad left, you were angry, hurt, heartbroken, and rightfully so. But when you get on that plane tomorrow, I am sending you off with every bit of love I could muster. You mean more to me than anything else, and I've not once doubted your feelings for me. Don't think you'll be able to get rid of me so easily."

"I've got no plans of ever ridding my life of you, love." He bent his head towards mine and kissed the top of it. "Do you want to try to sleep?"

"And miss out on a few more hours with you? Absolutely not."

"I know you, Elle. You'll be in a right sour mood tomorrow if you're tired."

"I took the day off, so as soon as I get back to my apartment, I'll pass out in my old bed. Easy as that."

He turned over onto his side and propped himself up on his elbow. His eyes searched mine before he spoke. "What do you want to talk about?"

"Tell me something I don't know."

He just stared at me with his eyebrows raised.

"Really, tell me something I can't find on the internet. Something no one knows. Not even your mom."

He actually laughed. "Mum knows everything."

"She can't know everything."

"Let me think on it for a minute."