Chapter 5

~Dedicated to RowlingGirls_22~

 ~~~

Maggie ran, her arms pumping by her sides as her short, chubby legs took her as fast as they could as far away from home as she dare run.

She wouldn't believe him. She couldn't. Johnny was just trying to scare her, that was all. He was lying, just as he always was.

She was talented. She was beautiful. She was special.

There were no such things as vampires; no such things as werewolves. Creatures like that weren't real. They didn't exist. And he certainly didn't exist.

...Did he?

Brushing the dainty, almost whimsical branches aside, Maggie stumbled over the protruding roots, but held herself upright. The tear-stains on her cheeks were frozen, her eyes puffy and reddened.

The sound of crunching snow reached her ears, though the sound came from all around her. She held her breath, frightened of what lay in the darkness beyond the branches.

"W-Willow?" the child's small voice called out as she clung to the trunk of a large willow tree, her knees trembling slightly. She wanted her friend. She needed her. But where was she?

"Maggie," a soft voice lulled from behind the child, just loud enough to be heard. The little girl whirled around, brown braid whipping over her shoulder. When she saw who it was, Maggie nearly ran to the person and hugged her, but Maggie stayed frozen. As the older girl came closer, a small, sad smile graced her face, a caring and solemn gleam to her silver eyes. "Maggie, what are you doing out here at this time of night?"

Whatever glue that had previous clung to Maggie's shoes was washed away as her friend came to stand beside her, underneath the willow tree's long draping branches. Maggie ran forwards, arms wrapping around her visitor's waist as a fresh batch of tears sprang forth.

"Willow!" Maggie cried into the older girl's hoodie with broken sobs.

Willow held the girl as she cried, gently lowering them to the ground where Maggie was sitting in Willow's lap. As Maggie continued to cry her heart out, Willow watched the tears glide down her cheeks, disappearing into almost a powder that then floated into a tiny vial in her one hand.

Maggie was so thankful when she found Willow. Willow had kept her promise, she had appeared when Maggie needed her, at the base of the willow tree. And she was once more comforting Maggie.

She clung to the older girl, both of her skinny arms wrapped tightly around Willow's waist and head buried in her shoulder. Willow was rocking back and forth ever-so slightly and as Maggie's sobs grew quieter, she could hear Willow singing softly.

"...For though the soldiers wage their war,
And battles plague the land,
I'll hold you forever more,
Just lend to me your hand

"I hear the trumpets calling
The men they take away
I hear the women crying
But know, I'm here to stay

"Just close your eyes, now rest your head,
Beside me dream of peace
And know that as they claim the dead,
The wars they wage shall cease

"Hush your crying, calm your tears
No need to be afraid
Know that as I sit right here
I see a child who is brave

"I know your flaws, I've seen your fears
I know what it's like to cry
But wipe your face and dry your tears
Look closer at my eyes

"Do I look to be lying
Or do I speak what's true
Now let the brave child hiding
Come forth, I know it's you..."