Chapter Six: Fighting For Attention -revised-

CHAPTER SIX: FIGHTING FOR ATTENTION

"Amelia, Sherlock!" John said, panicked, as he ran up the stairs and into his flat. He blinked, his gaze drawn to the boarded up windows, which Amelia had done before she'd gone to bed, Sherlock too lazy to help her despite the fact that he'd stayed up all night.

Sherlock slapped Amelia's fingers away as she reached for his violin, quietly reminding her about the correct way to pluck the strings. She narrowed her silvery eyes at the curly haired detective, "It's not exactly hard, Sherlock. Muscle memory."

A small smile twitched at the corner of the youngest Holmes' mouth, but he didn't say anything, instead glaring at John's seat which was now currently occupied by Mycroft. "John," Sherlock said stiffly. Amelia rolled her eyes and mimicked snapping Sherlock's bow over her knee. "Amy, if you do that, there will be hell to pay."

John looked to Mycroft, then to Amelia-who for some reason, Sherlock had taken to calling Amy-and then back to Sherlock. "I saw it on the telly. Are you okay?" He said, directing his question at Sherlock.

"Oh yeah, John." Amelia said sarcastically. "I'm absolutely fine. Thanks for being concerned about your younger sister, it really means a lot to me."

Sherlock grinned at her comment, ruffling her hair teasingly. "Hmm? What?" He glanced around at the broken glass that still littered the floor as Amelia refused to sweep it up, saying that Sherlock had to help with something. "Oh, yeah. Fine. Gas leak apparently." He turned to face his brother, not happy with his presence in their flat. "We can't." He said simply.

"Can't?" Mycroft repeated in disbelief, eyes narrowed suspiciously.

Sherlock shrugged, "The stuff we've got on is too big. We can't spare the time."

"Ms Watson still works for me." Mycroft pointed out tiredly. "She's missed three days of work because you've insisted that she comes everywhere with you. And then watch the flat when you were gone. You've gotten sentimental, brother mine."

"Then it's a good thing I've never taken a holiday. I've been racking up all my off-days." Amelia joked, interrupting before Sherlock could say anything rude. "Look, John! The Holmes boys are fighting for my attention!"

"Never mind your usual trivia." Mycroft said, pursing his lips. "This is of national importance."

Sherlock sulked, taking the violin from Amelia and plucking the strings absentmindedly. "How's the diet?" He implied the insult, wondering what Mycroft would say.

Mycroft remained calm, though his forehead twitched in aggravation. He looked to the Watsons. "Fine. I hope one of you can get through to him."

"What?" John asked, sauntering over to the windows to inspect the damage.

"I'm afraid my brother can be very intransigent." Mycroft replied.

"If you're so keen," Sherlock sneered, lips tightly pursed. "Why don't you investigate it yourself?"

"No, no, no, no, no," Mycroft said hurriedly, shaking his head slightly. "I can't possibly be away from the office for any length of time. Not with the Korean elections so..." He trailed off as Sherlock and John looked at him quizzically while Amelia smiled knowingly. Not that Sherlock, John or Mycroft knew but she actually had the Korean election file in her trunk. "Well, you don't need to know about that, do you?" Mycroft continued, smiling. He laughed darkly, a warning for John and Sherlock to forget what he had just said. "Besides a case like this, it requires...legwork."

Sherlock stiffened, irritated, as he plucked the wrong string and earned a condescending look from Amelia. "How's Sarah, John?" Amelia asked.

"How was the lilo?" Sherlock questioned.