The Final Problem

CHAPTER FORTY TWO: THE FINAL PROBLEM

“This fax arrived an hour ago.” Lestrade informed, giving Sherlock a large handwritten note.

HURRY UP

THEY’RE

DYING!

Sherlock handed the note to Amelia who sighed in frustration, closing her eyes in exasperation. “What have you got for us?” Lestrade asked the soon-to-be-wed couple.

“Need to find a place in the city where all five of these things intersect.” Sherlock said, taking his list from out of his pocket and handing it to Lestrade who read it aloud.

“Chalk, asphalt, brick dust, vegetation…” Lestrade listed off, “What the hell is this? Chocolate?”

“I think we’re looking for a disused sweet factory.” Amelia said, crossing her arms over her chest.

“We need to narrow that down.” Lestrade demanded, “A sweet factory with asphalt?”

“No. No, no, no.” Sherlock said hurriedly, “Too general. Need something more specific. Chalk; chalky clay—that’s a far thinner band of geology.” Sherlock brought up a mental map of London, zooming in and out of various spots on the map.

Brick dust?” Lestrade said in shock.

“Building site. Bricks from the nineteen fifties.” Amelia answered quickly. She moaned in anger, tying her hair in a knot atop her head.

“There’s thousands of building sites in London.” Lestrade groaned, running a hand over his face in distraught.

“I’ve got people out looking.” Sherlock said.

“So have I.” Lestrade said.

Amelia,” Sherlock said, prompting her to answer for him.

“Homeless network—faster than the police.” Amelia answered for Sherlock, shooting her fiancé a dark look, “Far more relaxed about taking bribes.” Amelia rolled her eyes at her own answer as Sherlock received dozens of messages from his homeless network.

“Amy.” Sherlock said, holding his phone out to show his fiancé a photo of a purple flower. “Rhododendron ponticum. It matches.” Sherlock returned to his mind palace, eliminating a few places from his map. He focused on one place that fit all the criteria, “Addlestone.”

“What?” Lestrade said in confusion.

“There’s a mile of disused factories between the river and the park. It matches everything.” Sherlock answered, turning on his heel and hurrying out of the office with John on his heel.

“Right, come on.” Lestrade said, Donovan hesitating to comply.

“Come on or I’ll have you fired!” Amelia spat, not hiding her hatred for the sergeant. Sally jumped to her feet, knowing that Amelia was telling the truth. Amelia had a short patience to begin with, and when it came to people she found either stupid or annoying, she gave hem one chance or she’d do everything in her power to ruin their lives.

~Addlestone~

Amelia, John, and Sherlock ran inside the dark, disused factory. Everyone excluding Amelia turned on lights to see in the dark, Donovan ordering the police men who’d accompanied them to search in all directions. “You, look over there. Look everywhere. Okay, spread out, please. Spread out.”

Amelia led a team to another part of the factory, slightly disgruntled that Lestrade was barking orders such as, “Look in there. Quietly. Quietly.”