Unexpected Marriage?

Shourya:

The darkness of the night went away with the flashlights of the cameras. I blinked my eyes to adapt to those lights. My heart is still trying to cope up with the sudden incident that completely left me bewildered.

All the channels and print media covered the news "DCP Shourya's secret marriage came into the light." So, finally the media got a news that could accelerate the TRP rating because I am Shourya, the Deputy Commissioner of Police, known for courage and sincerity. Until now, they didn’t get a chance to defame me and obviously this would be the most interesting news even to the public as they can brainstorm and be as creative as possible to frame a story either of love or affair that led to this marriage. They have absolutely no time or interest to know the facts. Because a lie is more attractive than the truth.

I looked at Diya and held her hand understanding that she is uncomfortable or dazed. I never thought about marriage. I know I can't love anyone except my duty. I don't know how Diya was dragged into my life without my interference. Nonetheless, I should save her dignity and self respect.

Just then, I noticed the Home Minister Ranveer's car entering into the hotel premises. He is too young in age to be a Home Minister but dangerous than any other experienced politicians. As if manipulation and selfishness are the qualifications for a politician, this Ranveer succeeded in the elections. He doesn't resemble an ordinary politician in his attire. Being six feet tall and muscle-bound, dressed in a white and black suit, with a styled hair, a platinum bracelet and imported shoes, he looks like an entrepreneur. He is not too stylish but maintains elegance in his appearance. His power and royalty is absolutely visible in his looks.

Ranveer came directly to us. I touched my forehead and rubbed the knuckles slightly to control my anger at him. Diya glanced at Ranveer and me, and tightened the hold on my hand with tension.

"What is this Shourya? Is she your wife? I know men have their needs, but don't commit to such girls to save your reputation. Life is more important than mere reputation," Ranveer whispered in my ears.

I felt to punch him hard in his face there itself for his bullshit. How could he speak in that way about a girl without knowing anything? They are our leaders chosen by us through elections. Very disgusting. The vote has the power to write the future of our nation. But many of us forget this fact and view the day of election as a paid holiday. That's the reason people of this type are grabbing power by various illegal ways and becoming a threat to our society. I controlled my anger by replacing it with a fake smile.

"Sir, she is my wife. Not a prostitute as you assumed. I am a true man who makes love only to my wife and I know how pure it is. It's not just fulfilling the need of a man in me. It's eternal way of showing my love to my wife and assuring her that we both are one forever in spite of any circumstances," I replied.

Ranveer's expressions changed for a while listening to my words.  Then he smirked at me.

"Are you ready to tie a knot in front of us, Mr. Shourya, to save the reputation of our department?" Ranveer said, looking at me. I understood his evil intention, but I can't make a decision without knowing Diya's opinion.

I looked at Diya and she nodded. I closed my eyes for a few minutes and then I agreed to marry her. This is the only way to save Diya and her self respect. Ranveer gave the nuptial chain to me. I understood that it's a trap planned by him. I tied the knot to Diya in front of everyone.

"DCP sir, can you please show your wife's face to us?" a reporter asked followed by a few other journalists.

Diya tied her face with a scarf to avoid this situation. But now there is no other way but to remove it. She uncovered her face. I looked at her.

Her face glowed like a star in the dark sky with a smile on her face. Her eyes showed her confidence even at this tough situation. That proves how strong the journalist Diya is! Her broad eyes took my heart away for a minute.

"Diya?" Everyone surprised to see her with me, that too as my wife.

Because Diya is a journalist, who irks me with her questions about the cases I deal. I often get frustrated at her questions; nevertheless, they are true and her points are so strong.

"Diya, are you DCP Shourya's wife?" A reporter asked her.

"Yes. We married two years ago. We kept it as a secret for a few personal reasons. Anyways, I am glad to reveal the secret and was tied the knot one more time in front of you all," Diya said with a calm and happy smile on her face.

I opened the car door for Diya, and we both left from there to my home. When I reached the police quarters provided by the Government, I found my parents there. I understood that they have watched the news and are happy to know that I got married. I hated marriage and escaped till today, in spite of my parent's constant efforts to get me married.

They performed a few rituals to welcome us. After some time, I heard knocking sound of the door.

"Come in, Diya," I said, and she came inside. I locked the door, and she looked at me holding a glass of milk in her hand. I guess it's mom who sent her with the milk glass.

"Diya, I am sorry. When we were trapped in that hotel room and caught in a police raiding, I didn't find any other way to protect your respect. So, I said that we were secretly wed. Unfortunately, because of that home minister, we got married. I don't know how to correct all this. But I will do anything you say to correct this mistake," I said.

"I can understand, Mr. Shourya. I know that you are a great police officer, but today I realized that you are a true man who respects a woman. You have no intention of marrying me but did it only to protect my self-respect. Thank you," Diya said.

"What shall we do now?" I asked.

Diya gave a stern look at me and I understood her suspicion.

"I don't mean it. I am asking about this marriage," I said immediately.

Diya smiled.

"Let's act as a couple for a year and then take divorce," Diya said, and I nodded.

"You can sleep in bed," I said to her.

"What about you?" Diya asked me.

"I will sleep on the couch," I replied.

"Isn't it difficult to sleep on the couch for one year?" Diya said.

"You can share the bed with me. Officially we are a couple. So I don't think it's wrong. I trust you," Diya said stressing the word trust.

I nodded, and we slept on the same bed turning different sides. Our paths and thoughts are different but destiny tied us together asking us to enjoy the unexpected journey of life. I don't know where would we end up but I hope none of us gets hurt in this unexpected journey.