Chapter 1

Chapter 1

As soon as the bell had rung, Isabel and I picked up all of our things and dashed out of there as soon as possible. 

As soon as we were out of earshot Isabel turned to me, “I’m almost 100 percent positive that Mr. Harris thinks were little lab rats he can control. I mean really, who the hell assigns a 6-paragraph essay out of the blue like that and expects it to be completed in like four days? I swear he just sits at home plotting about how he can make our lives more miserable than they already are!”

“Oh don’t be so dramatic Iz. I’m sure Mr. Harris just hasn’t gotten any in a while and he’s taking his frustration out on us. I don’t think he spends his time at home in a dark little corner with a rocking chair thinking about new torture devices he can use on high school kids, well at least not all of the time…” I replied

“Oh yeah, and you call me the dramatist. Seriously Emma, when did rocking chair and dark little corner come out of my mouth? You know sometimes—Oh my God!!”

“What?! What happened?!” I yelled in reply as I flung myself around in circles in order to see what had happened. It was only 30 seconds later that I realized Iz was laughing at me, and I was suddenly really dizzy. “Really? You think you’re funny when you do that? Because to be honest, it’s times like these that make me realize how immature you really are sometimes.”

“On the contrary, I feel like it’s times like these where you get to see how incredibly fun I am to be around. And sometimes being immature is better than being a sixteen year old with a stick up their ass.” She replied while nodding her head in the direction of Lauren. “Oh Lauren... poor, poor, Lauren. When will she ever learn that being a slut will eventually get her nowhere in life?”

“Oh stop being mean,” I replied, “you and I both know that she’s actually a sweetheart who just can’t keep her legs closed all the time. You’re just mad right now because you heard through the grapevine that she had a little ‘encounter’ with Will this weekend. And by 'encounter' I don't mean your normal run of the mill encounter, if you catch my drift, wink wink, nudge nudge. So I don't you’re really mad at her, I think you’re more mad at yourself.”

“Oh gee, thanks for the diagnosis Dr. Emma! But I’m pretty sure I’m mad at Lauren. And I don’t care that she hooked up with Will this weekend, why would I? It’s not like I like him or anything. I’m just upset that she still hasn’t learned how to say no to guys.” Iz tried to reply with some dignity. 

“Mhmm,” I started,” Is that so? If that were really the truth then you would have an explanation as to why you stare at him all of lunch. Which of course you don’t have, because you actually do like him, and you’re just too far in denial that you can’t admit it. “

  Wincing, she says back to me, “Am I really that obvious? Do you think he knows? Oh my god, he does, doesn’t he?”

“Chill out, the only reason I know is that I’m your best lady friend. He’s about as oblivious to your feelings, as Noah is to mine.” I said.

“Really?! Well, that’s a relief. Oh and, speaking of Noah…”Iz started 

“Oh god, don’t start with me. No, I haven’t made any progress with telling him. But you can’t really bug me about it because you’re in the same position as I am. So, ha!” I said back triumphantly.

“Alright I’ll give you that one, but this is going to be different.” 

“Right. Of course it is,” I responded dryly 

“No this time I’m serious! This year we are going to try and get them to notice us in a more than friend way. We can’t just slink away in the background.” Iz asked.