Two: Avyanna

T w o

Okay so there is absolutely no way this is happening. The Match Department totally fucked something up because there is no way this is happening. My mom, dad, and I are all staring at my letter. The letter that tells me who my Matched is and who I'm marrying next month.

All I can come up with to explain what's happening is that someone's playing a cruel trick on me. Now who's going to pop out with a camera to tell me this is all a big joke.

"Oh my gods."My mom breathes as she rereads the letter for at least the fifth time. "Oh my gods." She says again and I feel the panic rising up my throat. This is not happening. "Oh-" She starts but I quickly cut her off.

"MOM! Can you please stop saying that?!" I exclaim. I don't mean to yell at her but, I'm overwhelmed too. I pry the letter from her iron grip and reread it.

Dear Avyanna Recker,

We are pleased to inform you that your number one choice for your matched chose you as their number one choice also. How great. Now is the time to inform you that your Matched is Crown Prince Zakin Roman Calloway of the Royal Family! Congratulations! The Matching Ceremony will take place Juno 18th at 6pm, two hours after your graduation ceremony. Congratulations and good day.

Sincerely,

The Director of the Matching Department

This is a mistake. "Call someone mom." I say with shaking hands and a shaky voice. As if I'm about to cry, and she hears it in my voice and immediately turns to me.

"Oh baby, are you okay?" She asks and rubs my arms with her hands. "Who do you want me to call?" She asks and tries to sound comforting.

"Call. . . Call. . . Oh gods, there's nobody to call is there? We can't change our Matched until three months after the ceremony. We have to give them a chance, but this. . . This is a mistake mom. What're we going to do?" I say because, oh my gods, it's true.

"We wait. If anyone's going to fix this it'll probably be the royal family. They wouldn't want a Monarch being Matched to a Median." My mom starts, and when she sees the look I get on my face for her last sentence she hurries to continue. "Not because you're not good enough, but because they think we're below them. You're perfect. So what we're going to do is wait. The Royal Family will do what they see fit, and it'll probably be in both of our favors. Don't worry about it, okay?" Mom finishes with a smile. She rubs my arm one more time and then turns around and goes back into the kitchen. I let out a deep breath because this cannot be happening.

Since mom already left I just walk to my bedroom, we only have one floor and a basement. I close the door behind me and sit on my bed. Mom's right. There's nothing we can do about it. The only people who have even a small chance of being able to change the decision of the Matched directors are the Royal Family.

It's not that I don't want to marry a Prince, it's just that the Monarchs won't have it. If they don't fix it on time for the Matching Ceremony than that day will be the most embarrassing of my life. The Prince will probably tell me in front of everyone that he doesn't want to be Matched with me and it'll be a nightmare. A real life nightmare.

I let out a groan and throw the letter to the floor. I flop back on my bed and stare up at the ceiling. There's nothing else I can do anyway.

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~