An Incident in the Square

Bored. That's what he is. Bored. Like always. Nothing interesting is happening and he can't even use the excuse that it's because he's dead anymore.

Sherlock Holmes has already been through the newspaper today; nothing's there that would be worth his time.

He's already played his way through four pieces on his violin, but that never did keep him occupied; it's more to help him think. Today he doesn't have anything to think about though. Pointless.

He doesn't even have his blogger. John is at work, or something equally as dull. Whatever it is, he isn't here to anno- er... talk to. Him being away all the time is getting tedious. The delay between Sherlock asking for a pen and receiving one has increased dramatically from hours to days.

Telly? Is he that desperate? Surely there has to be something to do rather than dull his mind with pointless soap operas and horrid day time talk shows.

Perhaps he'll take a stab at less than legal drugs? No, no, imagine the monotony of the programs he would be forced through once John found out about that. The thought of such programs makes him shudder. Not worth it.

Telly then. Maybe the news has something on that happened too recently for today's paper. Sherlock isn't a religious person, but he prays to someone that this is the case.

"Derren Brown pulls yet another amazing stunt today at Trafalgar Square; this time with a man, a helicopter, and a 1960s police telephone box."

Celebrity news. How drab. A man who calls himself a magician pulls a stunt. Tricks of the mind. Sherlock can do that easily. He uses his skills for a purpose though.

"Many people are asking what exactly the point of the stunt was, but were nonetheless entertained by a man hanging from a police telephone box as he was flown over London."

What a strange stunt to pull. Even for publicity.

"The man did fall from the box,"

Sherlock's ears perk up at the news. Maybe this story can be interesting.

"but only when at a safe distance from the ground."

And dash those hopes.

"Upon landing, he was joined by a young woman who apparently spent her time flying above London inside the box. The couple were then greeted by seemingly armed guards and eventually made their way into the British Museum. We spoke to Mr. Brown about the point of the stunt earlier today."

Sherlock will never admit it, but this story is slightly more interesting than he thought it would be. Especially considering Derren Brown has absolutely no idea what the stunt was about either, judging by the way he keeps moving his eyes away from the camera, the lack of confidence in his voice, and that he is clearly repeating lines that someone just off camera is feeding him.

The detective tries to come up with possible explanations for the stunt, barring it being one of Derren Brown's.

It obviously wasn't some wealthy person's homemade attempt at getting attention or making a viral video for the Internet; the footage that the news was running isn't from someone ready with a camera to catch something they already knew was coming. And there's the fact that the people the occupants met were armed with guns, not cameras.

It wasn't some advertising campaign for the latest "extreme" product; there were no signs of branding on the helicopter, the box, the man, the girl, or the party waiting for their arrival.

The uniformed and armed guards that met the two riders suggest military involvement. That implies that the box was picked up and taken rather than moved with permission; the military has a "Do as we please and ask no questions until later" attitude about them. But why on Earth would they be interested in a police telephone box? And why would they bring it to such a public place?