Chapter Thirty: House of Gold

30 | Cole

                ~*~ House of Gold ~*~

                It was late by the time we finished eating and arrived back at her house. Jess was still wide-awake when we arrived home, and I knew that she was waiting for word on her father, so she insisted that we relaxed in the living room until we heard further notice. She was growing tired but she wouldn’t go up to bed, and I knew that she wouldn’t sleep properly until she received a phone call about her father’s injuries. I tried convincing her that if we had our phones turned up all the way, there was no way we could miss the phone call.

                “Jess, come on, let’s go to bed.” I yawned. I flipped off the big TV and read the clock on the cable box, glowing in red that it was past midnight. Usually I could be up much later than this but given current events, I was shot.

                “Cole, I don’t want to miss a phone call.” She whined, yawning as she tried to finish her sentence.

                “I have them turned up all the way, plus, my father will keep calling me until I answer, so there’s no way we can miss it.” I assured her. Instead of listening to me, she frowned and stared up at the ceiling.

                “But what if-“

                “Jess, it’s time for bed.” I said, cutting her off. She groaned, got up and turned off the kitchen light. Making sure that the front door and her kitchen door was locked; I flipped off the lights and turned on her light above her stairs. Jess came up the stairs with two water bottles in her hands, yawning as she made her way to her bedroom. I stripped of my clothes and crawled into her bed, surprised that it was comfortable.

                “Just because I haven’t been here in a while doesn’t mean everything is ancient.” She said, stripping of her jeans and pulling a baggy sweatshirt over her head. She crawled in next to me, snuggling up against me.

                “I promise, if they call, we’ll know.” I said, playing with her fingers.

                “I won’t be able to sleep fully until I know.”

                “I know.” I sighed. “Try to though, okay?” She nodded her head and moved so her head could lie on my chest.

                “I love you.” She mumbled into my chest.

                “I love you too.” I blushed as the words tumbled from my mouth. My heart was beating faster and I was happy she was falling asleep so she didn’t notice what she was doing to me.

                In the middle of the night, I was woken up by Jess crying. At first, I thought she woke up and panicked about her father, but she was crying in her sleep. Her shaking form was curled into a ball and my heart was breaking in a million pieces just hearing the pain in her sobs. I rubbed her back and kissed her head until she calmed down in her sleep again; but by then I was awake. I thought Jess was getting better but I knew with the current events it was going to take a toll on her, but I didn’t realize how much pain she felt being back in her own house. I wasn’t sure how to begin to take her pain away, but I knew it needed to happen; she deserved to enjoy life again.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

                “Cole, I really hate grocery shopping.” She groaned, rolling over in bed. I had just gotten out of the shower and Jess was finally waking up. The blankets were to her chin and she squinted at me as I pulled on some pants.